kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
- Further information: Plate tectonics
The major types of plate boundaries are:
- Spreading boundaries. Mid-Atlantic Ridge and Africa's Great Rift Valley are examples. Rift valleys, mountains (orogeny), volcanoes.
- Collision boundaries. These collide, forming a subduction zone (Wast coast of the Americas) or a continental collision (India with Asia). Mountains (orogeny), valleys, volcanoes.
- Transform or fault boundaries. Here plates gring past each other along transform faults. Earthquakes, volcanoes,
- Conservative boundaries: little or no relative motion
All boundaries except the conservative ones are sites of major geological activity.
- Bird, P. (2003) An updated digital model of plate boundaries also available as a large (13 mb) PDF file