kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Motto: "The Land, The People, The Light"|
|Anthem: Sons and Daughters of Saint Lucia|
and largest city
|Saint Lucian French Creole|
|Government||Parliamentary democracy under constitutional monarchy|
|-||Prime Minister||Kenny Anthony|
|-||Lower house||House of Assembly|
|-||from the United Kingdom||22 February 1979|
|-||Total||617 km2 (191st)
238.23 sq mi
|GDP (PPP)||2011 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2011 estimate|
|HDI (2011)|| 0.723
high · 82nd
|Currency||East Caribbean dollar (
|Drives on the||left|
|Calling code||+1 758|
Saint Lucia is a tropical island country in the eastern Caribbean Sea. It is a part of the Lesser Antilles, and it is north of the islands of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and south of Martinique. As of 2010 there are about 174,000 people.
Saint Lucia has 11 quarters, or parishes of the island.
The cities in Saint Lucia are:
- Anse La Raye
- Castries - Capital
- Gros Islet
- Mon Repos
- Ravine Poisson
- Rodney Bay
- Ti Rocher
- Vieux Fort
The volcanic island of Saint Lucia is more mountainous than many other Caribbean islands. The highest point is Mount Gimie, at 950 metres (3,120 ft) above sea level. Two other mountains, the Pitons, form the island's most famous landmark. They are between Soufrière and Choiseul on the western side of the island. Saint Lucia is also one of the few islands in the world that has a drive-in volcano. It is also famous for clear seas and sandy beaches.
The Windward Islands cricket team includes players from Saint Lucia. They play in the West Indies regional tournament. Darren Sammy is the first Saint Lucian to represent the West Indies. He is the current captain.
Tourism is important to Saint Lucia's economy. There are more tourists during the dry season (January to April). Saint Lucia tends to be popular due to its tropical weather and scenery and its many beaches and resorts.
Other tourist attractions include a drive-in volcano, Sulphur Springs, the Botanical Gardens, the Majestic twin Peaks "The Pitons", a world heritage site, the rain forests, and Pigeon Island National Park.
- List of rivers of Saint Lucia
- List of Saint Lucian people
- Saint Lucia at the Olympics
- Saint Lucia national football team
- "About St. Lucia". Castries, St. Lucia: St. Lucis Tourist Board. http://www.stlucia.org/planner/about.asp. Retrieved 2011-11-11. "The official language spoken in Saint Lucia is English although many Saint Lucians also speak a French dialect, Creole (Kwéyòl)."
- Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs (U.S. Department of State) (August 12, 2011). "Background Note: Saint Lucia". United States Department of State. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2344.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-11. "Languages: English (official); a French patois is common throughout the country."
- "Saint Lucia". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=52&pr.y=15&sy=2009&ey=2012&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=362&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Charles eager to learn from Dessie Haynes". Windies cricket. http://www.windiescricket.com/node/5438. Retrieved 29 July 2012.