kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
William M. Daley
|24th White House Chief of Staff|
January 13, 2011 – January 27, 2012
|Preceded by||Pete Rouse (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Jacob Lew|
|32nd United States Secretary of Commerce|
January 30, 1997 – July 19, 2000
|Preceded by||Mickey Kantor|
|Succeeded by||Norman Mineta|
|Born||August 9, 1948|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||Loyola University Chicago|
John Marshall Law School
William Michael “Bill” Daley (born August 9, 1948) is an American lawyer and former banker. He served as the White House Chief of Staff after Rahm Emanuel successfuly ran for Mayor of Chicago from 2011 through 2012. He is the son of Richard J. Daley and brother of Richard M. Daley (who's successor was Emanuel as Mayor of Chicago). He also was the United States Secretary of Commerce from 1997 through 1997.
Daley is also a candidate for Governor in the Illinois gubernatorial election, 2014 for the Democratic Primary. On September 16th, Daley made a surprise announcement that he was exiting the race for Illinois Governor due to the personal hardships inherent in running a campaign for elective office.
- "Washingtonpost.com: Politics – The Administration, William M. Daley". The Washington Post. December 15, 1999. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/govt/admin/daley.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- Daley Says U.S. to Consider Using Oil Reserves as Prices Rise With Turmoil. Bloomberg.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-05.
- "Bill Daley drops bid for governor". Chicago Tribune. September 16, 2013. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-bill-daley-governors-race-20130916,0,17259.story. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- White House Staff at WhiteHouse.gov
- Profile at Forbes
- Daley Family Tree (interactive graphic)
- Obama Taps William Daley for Chief of Staff – video report by Democracy Now!
- Wall Street Journal – Why Obama Chose Bill Daley