kidzsearch.com > wiki
2024 Winter Youth Olympics
|Host city||Gangwon, South Korea|
|Motto||Let's Make It Together (Korean: 같이합시다Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.)|
|Stadium||SCJ Olympic Stadium|
Gangwon was the only preferred host. Other cities such as Brașov, Granada, and Sofia were interested to hold the competition but was not preferred. They held talks with IOC and the Future Host Commission. Gangwon was officially chosen during 135th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland on 10 January 2020.
Host city selection
Pyeongchang (in Gangwon) was chosen as host of the 2024 Winter Youth Olympics. This was announced on 10 January 2020 at the 135th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland. The city meets all of the requirements set by the IOC and Executive Board. 82 members were eligible to vote.
|2024 Youth Olympic Games bidding results|
|None of bid||2|
Development and preparation
Most of the venues of the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics will be used again. Most of the outdoor snow events will be held in the county of Pyeongchang. Some indoor ice events will be held in the nearby city of Gangneung. Wonsan city in North Korea will also hold some events after discussions with North Korea. Wonsan can possibly host some of the alpine events.
Pyeongchang (mountain cluster)
- Alpensia Ski Jumping Centre – ski jumping, Nordic combined, snowboarding (big air)
- SCJ Olympic Stadium- opening and closing ceremonies
- Alpensia Biathlon Centre – biathlon
- Alpensia Cross-Country Skiing Centre – cross-country skiing, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Sliding Centre – luge, bobsleigh
- Yongpyong Alpine Centre – alpine skiing (slalom, giant slalom)
There will be another outdoor venue at Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang:
One other venue for outdoor sports will be in neighboring Jeongseon county:
- High1 Resort – alpine skiing (downhill, super-G, combined)
Gangneung (coastal cluster)
- Gangneung Hockey Centre – ice hockey
- Gangneung Curling Centre – curling
- Gangneung Oval – long track speed skating
- Gangneung Ice Arena – short track speed skating, figure skating
- "2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games awarded to South Korea's Gangwon - English.news.cn" (in la). 2017-03-21. http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-01/11/c_138695961.htm.
- "Gangwon Province selected to host 2024 Winter Youth Olympics" (in la). 2020-01-20. http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/925069.html.
- Morgan, Liam (9 January 2019). Russia expresses interest in hosting 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games. inside the games. https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1074025/russia-expresses-interest-in-hosting-2024-winter-youth-olympic-games. Retrieved 3 November 2020.
- "Gangwon 2024: legacy of PyeongChang 2018 lives on in first Winter Youth Olympic Games awarded to Asia". 10 January 2019. https://www.olympic.org/news/gangwon-2024-legacy-of-pyeongchang-2018-lives-on-in-first-winter-youth-olympic-games-awarded-to-asia.
- "South Korea set to host 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games with possible help from North Korea". insidethegames. 5 December 2019. https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1087846/south-korea-set-to-host-2024-winter-yog. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- Yoo, Jee Ho. "PyeongChang Winter Olympic facilities to be transformed to sports complex, cultural center". https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20190924007500315.
- "Future Host Commission Report: 4th Winter Youth Olympics 2024". 10 January 2019. https://www.olympic.org/-/media/Document%20Library/OlympicOrg/News/2020/01/Gangwon2024-Future-Host-Winter-Commission-Report.pdf.
- 2024 Summer Olympics
- 2026 Winter Olympics
- 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul
- 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, Gangwon
|Winter Youth Olympic Games
|Youth Olympic Games|
|Summer Games: Singapore 2010, Nanjing 2014, Buenos Aires 2018, 2022|
| Winter Games: Innsbruck 2012, Lillehammer 2016, Lausanne 2020, 2024|
| Buenos Aires 2018 — Lausanne 2020 — 2022 |