kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Location of the Golan Heights
|Status||Internationally recognized as Syrian territory occupied by Israel;[note 1]|
see Status of the Golan Heights.
|• Total||1,800 km2 (700 sq mi)|
|• Occupied by Israel||1,200 km2 (500 sq mi)|
|• Controlled by Syrian Arab Republic (including de jure 235 km2 (91 sq mi) UNDOF control zone)||600 km2 (200 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2,814 m (9,232 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||−212 m (−695.5 ft)|
|• Israeli Jewish settlers||20,000–22,300|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3|
The Golan Heights is a strip of land in northeastern Israel that was captured by Israel in the Six Day War of 1967. The United Nations has voted to ask Israel to pull its troops out of the Golan Heights. Syria and Israel still have not signed a peace treaty from that war, mostly because of the issue of the Golan. They almost reached a peace deal but they could not agree on where to draw the line, and what Syria would have to do in return. On the western edge of the Golan Heights is a range of extinct volcanos.
Map of the Golan Heights. Sites on the map in blue are Israeli villages; and sites in black are Syrian villages.
A map of the Golan Hights from a satellite.
- Trump signs decree recognizing Israeli sovereignty over Golan Heights, Reuters, 25 March 2019
- Lee, Matthew; Riechmann, Deb (2019-03-25). "Trump signs declaration reversing US policy on Golan Heights". https://apnews.com/da3b37642ce648658d1e6a8de2d43846.
- Israel to send 250,000 settlers to occupied Golan
- Statistical Abstract of Israel 2018, 2.17. Israel Central Bureau of Statistics.
- Golan Heights profile 25 March 2019 BBC
- "Golan Heights". Encyclopaedia Britannica. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/237237/Golan-Heights. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Profile: Golan Heights". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14724842. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "The Syrian Golan". Permanent Mission of the Syrian Arab Republic to the United Nations. http://www.un.int/syria/golan.htm. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Israel becomes a fortress nation as it walls itself off from the Arab Spring, NBC News, March 20, 2013.
- "Profile: Golan Heights". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14724842. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- The United States recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan in March 2019. The US is the first country to recognize the Golan as Israeli territory, while the rest of the international community still considers it Syrian territory occupied by Israel
- Israeli community portal
- The Syrian Golan – Permanent Mission of the Syrian Arab Republic to the United Nations
- Gaulonitis in the Jewish Encyclopedia (1906)
- What is the dispute over the Golan Heights?
- A View From Damascus: Internal Refugees From Golan’s 244 Destroyed Syrian Villages from Washington Report