kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Country||Syrian territory occupied by Israel.|
|• Total||1,800 km2 (700 sq mi)|
|• Occupied by Israel||1,200 km2 (500 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2,814 m (9,232 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
The Golan Heights is a strip of land in southwestern Syria that was occupied by Israel in the Six Day War of 1967. The United Nations has voted to ask Israel to pull its troops out of the Golan Heights. Syria and Israel still have not signed a peace treaty from that war, mostly because of the issue of the Golan. They almost reached a peace deal but they could not agree on where to draw the line, and what Syria would have to do in return. On the western edge of the Golan Heights is a range of extinct volcanos.
Map of the Golan Heights. Sites on the map in blue are Israeli settlements; and sites in black are Syrian villages.
A map of the Golan Hights from a satellite.
- See the following:
- "The international community maintains that the Israeli decision to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration in the occupied Syrian Golan is null and void and without international legal effect." International Labour Office (2009). The situation of workers of the occupied Arab territories (International government publication ed.). International Labour Office. p. 23.
- "...occupied Syrian Golan Heights..." (The Arab Peace Initiative, 2002, www.al-bab.com. Retrieved August 1, 2010.)
- In 2008, a plenary session of the United Nations General Assembly voted by 161–1 in favour of a motion on the "occupied Syrian Golan" that reaffirmed support for UN Resolution 497. (General Assembly adopts broad range of texts, 26 in all, on recommendation of its fourth Committee, including on decolonization, information, Palestine refugees, United Nations, December 5, 2008.)
- "the Syrian Golan Heights territory, which Israel has occupied since 1967". Also, "the Golan Heights, a 450-square mile portion of southwestern Syria that Israel occupied during the 1967 Arab-Israeli war." (CRS Issue Brief for Congress: Syria: U.S. Relations and Bilateral Issues, Congressional Research Service. 19 January 2006)
- "Golan Heights profile". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14724842. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "Golan Heights". Encyclopaedia Britannica. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/237237/Golan-Heights. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Profile: Golan Heights". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14724842. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "The Syrian Golan". Permanent Mission of the Syrian Arab Republic to the United Nations. http://www.un.int/syria/golan.htm. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Israel becomes a fortress nation as it walls itself off from the Arab Spring, NBC News, March 20, 2013.
- Israeli community portal
- The Syrian Golan – Permanent Mission of the Syrian Arab Republic to the United Nations
- Gaulonitis in the Jewish Encyclopedia (1906)
- What is the dispute over the Golan Heights?
- A View From Damascus: Internal Refugees From Golan’s 244 Destroyed Syrian Villages from Washington Report