kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
List of police forces in the United Kingdom
This is a list of the Police forces in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.
Police Officer numbers in England and Wales are at their highest ever levels.
* Note: Staffordshire, West Mercia and West Midlands participate in a partnership called the Central Motorway Police Group
In September 2006 police numbers in England were:
- Police officers: 133,775
- Police Community Support Officers: 8,133
- Other staff: 70,818
In September 2006 police numbers in Wales were:
- Police officers: 7,579
- Police Community Support Officers: 384
- Other staff: 3,767
Most areas of Policing in Scotland are done by the Scottish Government and Scottish Parliament, but some rights remain with the Scottish Office in the UK Government. These areas include national security, terrorism, firearms and drugs.
As of 1 April 2013, Policing in Scotland is the responsibility of the Police Service of Scotland.
In June 2004, police numbers in Scotland were 15,714. By the end of June 2012, police numbers had risen to 17,373. This shows a 10.56& increase in police numbers over this 8 year period.
In Northern Ireland, police powers have not been transferred to the Northern Ireland Executive as they have been in Scotland, instead they remain with the Northern Ireland Office in the UK Government.
In April 2007 police numbers in Northern Ireland were:
- Police officers: 7,244
- Part time police officers: 888
- Other staff: 2,701
The Police Service of Northern Ireland does not employ Police Community Support Officers.
- Police numbers reach record high.
- Police service strength in England and Wales at September 2006
- Police Officer Quarterly Strength Statistics Scotland
- Police service strength
- Helen Gough, Police and Constabulary Almanac (Police & Constabulary Almanac), Shaw & Sons (21 Feb 2007), 500 pages, ISBN 978-0721916620