kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Lou Reed performing on June 2008
|Birth name||Lewis Allan Reed|
March 2, 1942|
Brooklyn, New York City, United States
October 27, 2013 (aged 71)|
Southampton, Long Island, New York, United States
|Genres||Rock, experimental rock, art rock, protopunk, noise, drone, psychedelic rock, folk rock, glam rock, blue-eyed soul, spoken word|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, producer, photographer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, ostrich guitar, bass, synthesizer, keyboards, piano, harmonica, drums, percussion|
|Labels||Matador, MGM, RCA, Sire, Reprise, Warner Bros.|
|Associated acts||The Velvet Underground, John Cale, Nico, David Bowie, The Killers, Mick Ronson, Gorillaz, Laurie Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Metallica, Metric|
Lewis Allan "Lou" Reed (March 2, 1942 - October 27, 2013) was an American rock musician. He was originally from Long Island, New York and spent most of his life in New York City. He is remembered for being in the Velvet Underground, although he also released solo work. He was friends with artist Andy Warhol.
Reed began his career in 1964. He is perhaps most famous for his songs "Walk on the Wild Side" (about Candy Darling and other such people Reed had known), "Perfect Day" (which was covered by many other artists, including Duran Duran and a version used by the BBC) and "Heroin" (an "love song" about the drug). Reed's 1989 album New York drew attention and praise, for its matter-of-fact look at the condition of New York City in the late 1980s.
At the height of his popularity as a solo artist, Reed released one of the least "commercial" recordings ever; his 1975 experimental album Metal Machine Music. It was an hour of electric guitar feedback, and not what many people thought was music. The album did not hurt his career in the long run, and it reminded people that Reed was a unique musician.
Because of his song about heroin, Reed was believed to have been addicted to the drug, but this was not the case. He was a longtime user of , marijuana and tobacco, but gradually stopped using any drugs. He began exercising more, and enjoyed .
In May 2000, Reed performed before Pope John Paul II at the Great Jubilee Concert in Rome. He was married to Betty Reed from 1973 until they divorced in 1978. Then he was married to Sylvia Morales from 1980 until they divorced in 1994. Then he was married to Laurie Anderson, the performance artist and musician, from 2008 until his death in 2013. Reed had no children.
Tributes were paid to Reed on Twitter, including those from Miley Cyrus, Salman Rushdie, Samuel L. Jackson, Lenny Kravitz, Ricky Gervais, Ryan Adams, Elijah Wood, and many others. John Cale, his Velvet Underground bandmate, posted on his Facebook: "The world has lost a fine songwriter and poet…I've lost my 'school-yard buddy'".
- Sam Jones and Shiv Malik. "Lou Reed, lead singer of Velvet Undergound, dies aged 71 | Music". theguardian.com. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/27/lou-reed-velvet-underground-dies?CMP=twt_gu. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Lou Reed Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Lou Reed". Encyclopedia.com. http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Lou_Reed.aspx. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- The Heebie-Jeebies at CBGB's: A Secret History of Jewish Punk – Steven Lee Beeber – Google Books. Books.google.ca. http://books.google.ca/books?id=tDk6FuQcxpoC&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=Toby+Futterman+Sidney+Joseph+Reed&source=bl&ots=qjwzVg7eH8&sig=vUNa58wNLSYFHFFDW0Egb09vew0&hl=en&redir_esc=y. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- "BBC News – Lou Reed, Velvet Underground frontman, dies at 71". BBC Online. October 27, 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24697765. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71". Rolling Stone. October 27, 2013. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- USA Today, Lou Reed, Fans from Miley Cyrus to Lenny Kravitz had something to say about Lou Reed. Retrieved on October 27, 2013
- Sherwell, Philip (October 27, 2013). "Lou Reed dies aged 71". The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10407726/Lou-Reed-dies-aged-71.html. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Wile, Rob (October 27, 2013). "Here's Velvet Underground Co-Founder John Cale's Reaction To Lou Reed's Passing". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/john-cale-reacts-to-lou-reed-death-2013-10. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- Official Lou Reed website
- Lou Reed on IMDb
- Comprehensive music biography of Reed by Allmusic
- BBC obituary'