kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Lucille Frances Ryan|
March 29, 1968
Auckland, New Zealand
|Other names||Lucy Tapert|
Garth Lawless (1988-1995)|
Robert Tapert (1998-present)
Lucille Frances Ryan (born March 29, 1968 in Auckland) is a New Zealand actress. When she was twenty years old, she got her first acting job in the TV program Funny Business. In 1995, she starred in her first television series, Xena: Warrior Princess, becoming in an international star in this role.
Lawless is also known for her role as D'anna Biers in the TV series Battlestar Galactica between 2005 and 2008. During a break in 1997 between filming seasons on Xena, Lawless made her onstage debut singing songs on Broadway as Rizzo in the remake of the musical play Grease.
Since her role as Xena, Lawless has pursued a new career in singing after being a contestant on Celebrity Duets. She sang at the Roxy in Hollywood in 2007, and has since performed regularly in concerts and released several CDs. She has a contralto singing range.
Lawless began acting in secondary school, attending Marist College, New Zealand, in Mount Albert. She studied foreign languages at Auckland University for a year before dropping out and leaving for Europe with her boyfriend, Garth Lawless, to travel to Germany and Switzerland. The couple then moved to Australia, where she worked briefly as a gold miner.
Lawless wanted to act since she was five. She took her first acting class at the school. Lawless starred various national television commercials when she was a child. One of these was for McDonald's. She played an Amazon in the TV movie Hercules and the Amazon Women, in 1994, and Lisya in his Spin-off, the TV series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys em 1995. In the same year, she plays Xena in three episodes, returning later.
In September, Xena won her own series, Xena: Warrior Princess, Lawless was the star in the program during 6 years. Lawless first appeared on Broadway in September 1997 in the Grease play remake, as the "bad girl" Rizzo character. She applied to play the squeaky-clean naive blond girl Sandra Dee, but she claimed the producers after Xena had typed her to playing only "bad girls." She said the Sandy character was very similar to her sheltered childhood, growing up in New Zealand with many protective older brothers. She was also featured in the short-lived television series Tarzan. Lawless has made cameo appearances in the movies EuroTrip, Spider-Man and Boogeyman. She returned to television in the TV movie Locusts! and its sequel Vampire Bats.
From 2005 to 2008, Lawless has had a recurring role in the television series Battlestar Galactica. She portrays D'Anna Biers, a reporter with the Fleet News Service who works on a critical documentary about the crew of the Galactica and is later revealed to be a Cylon.
In 1997, Lawless was named one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" by People magazine. Days earlier on 6 May 1997, Lawless inadvertently exposed a as she concluded a performance of the US national anthem at an NHL hockey game in Anaheim, California between the Mighty Ducks and Detroit Red Wings. Lawless was quoted in Newsweek as saying:
|“||Obviously, I was mortified....It was quite a bit more exposure than I want...||”|
Some fans felt that the sexual nature of Xena and the character Gabrielle's relationship was cemented by an interview given by Lucy Lawless to News magazine in 2003. Lawless stated that after the series finale, where Gabrielle revives Xena with a mouth-to-mouth water transfer filmed to look like a full kiss, she had come to believe that Xena and Gabrielle's relationship was "definitely ... there was always a 'well, she might be or she might not be' but when there was that drip of water passing between their lips in the very final scene, that cemented it for me".
In 2006, Lucy Lawless donated her personal Xena costume to the Museum of American History. In an interview the same year with Smithsonian magazine, she was asked the question "Was the Warrior Princess outfit comfortable?" and she responded:
Not at first, because they would put boning in the corset. It would cover up those little floating ribs that are so important for breathing, so I'd feel like I was having panic attacks. But it just became a second skin after a while. It was very functional, once I got over the modesty factor. I admit to being a little bit embarrassed the first couple weeks because I'd never worn anything so short.—Lucy Lawless, Smithsonian, November 2006, page 44
At the age of nineteen, Lawless became pregnant with Garth's child. In 1988, they married in Kalgoorlie, Australia. They returned to New Zealand and had a daughter, Daisy Lawless (born 15 July 1988), who also attended Marist College, New Zealand. The couple divorced in 1995. Lawless married Xena executive producer Robert Tapert on 28 March 1998. Lawless and Tapert have two sons: Julius Robert Bay Tapert (born 16 October 1999) and Judah Miro Tapert (born 7 May 2002), both born in Auckland.
|Football Wives||Tanya Austin||2007|
|Vampire Bats||Maddy Rierdon||2005|
|Hercules and the Amazon Women||Lisya||1994|
|Typhon's People||Mink Tertius||1993|
|The Rainbow Warrior||Jane Redmond||1992|
|The End of the Golden Weather||namorada do Joe||1991|
|A Bitter Son||nurse||1990|
|Within the Law||Verity||1990|
|Battlestar Galactica||D'Anna Biers||2005-2008||15|
|Veronica Mars||Agente Morris||2006||1|
|Xena: The 10th Anniversary Collection||Xena||2005||1|
|Two and a Half Men||Pamela||2005||1|
|Less Than Perfect||Tracy Fletcher||2004||1|
|The X-Files||Shannon McMahon||2001||2|
|Xena: Warrior Princess||Xena||1995-2001||134|
|Just Shoot Me!||Stacy||2001||1|
|Hercules: The Legendary Journeys||Xena, Lyla||1995-1998||8|
|Hercules & Xena: Wizards of the Screen||Xena||1997||1|
|High Tide||Sharon List||1994-1995||2|
|The Black Stallion||Sarah McFee||1993||1|
|The Ray Bradbury Theater||Liddy Barton||1992||1|
|For the Love of Mike||Helen||1991||1|
|Shark in the Park||_||1991||1|
- "Lucy Lawless". Askmen.com. http://www.askmen.com/celebs/women/actress/lucy_lawless/index.html. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Biografia de Lucy Lawless". Jornallivre.com. http://www.jornallivre.com.br/noticia/?nr_pg_atual=4&id=105467. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Lucy Lawless returns to Battlestar Galactica". Buddytv.com. http://www.buddytv.com/articles/battlestar-galactica/lucy-lawless-returns-to-battle-8815.aspx. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Lucy Lawless, Come to Mama live in The Roxy Theater". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/LUCY-LAWLESS-COME-THEATRE-CONCERT/dp/B000VJZ6KY. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Xena's table". Ussbrazil.com. http://www.ussbrazil.com/index28.html. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "The actors from William Davis Center for Actors Study". Vanarts.com. http://www.vanarts.com/prog_acting/index.php?story=../prog_acting/center/news.php. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Lucy Lawless at the Entertainment Tonight". WarriorPrincess.com. http://www.warriorprincess.com/Lucy/LucyonET/LucyonET020599.html. Retrieved 2008-10-8.
- "Lucy Lawless biography". Perfectpeople.net. http://www.perfectpeople.net/biography/253/lucy-lawless.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Hercules and the Amazon Women (1994)". Nytimes.com. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/175773/Hercules-and-the-Amazon-Women/overview. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Xena gets the axe". Bbc.co.uk. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/976257.stm. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Other works of Lucy Lawless". Imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005128/otherworks. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Lucy Lawless start at The X-Files". People.com. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,622431,00.html. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Starring Lucy Lawless, Dra. Maddy Rierdon - Locust!". Lucylawless.info. http://www.lucylawless.info/movies/locusts/index.php. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- People names the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World
- "Xena and Gabrielle: Icons". AfterEllen.com. Archived from the original on 2006-05-04. http://web.archive.org/web/20060504123937/www.afterellen.com/TV/xena.html. Retrieved 2006-10-31.
- Smithsonian magazine. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution.Page 44: "Lucy Lawless, star of Xena: Warrior Princess, which aired from 1995-2001, has given her signature costume to the Museum of American History."
- "Biography for Robert Tapert". Imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0849964/bio. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Lucy Lawless". Answers.com. http://www.answers.com/topic/lucy-lawless. Retrieved 2008-10-17.