kidzsearch.com > wiki
One World Trade Center
|One World Trade Center|
|Tallest in North America since 2013[I]|
|Preceded by||Willis Tower|
|Architectural style||Contemporary modern|
|Location||285 Fulton Street|
Manhattan, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Construction started||April 27, 2006|
|Topped-out||May 10, 2013|
|Opening||November 3, 2014|
May 29, 2015 (One World Observatory)
|Cost||US$3.9 billiona |
|Roof||1,368 ft (417.0 m)|
|Top floor||1,268 ft (386.5 m)|
|Floor count||94 (+5 below ground floors)|
|Floor area||3,501,274 sq ft (325,279 m2)|
|Elevators||73, made by ThyssenKrupp.|
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||Tishman Construction|
|Developer||Port Authority of New York and New Jersey|
|Structural engineer||WSP Cantor Seinuk|
|Other designers||Hill International, The Louis Berger Group|
The One World Trade Center (also known as One WTC or Freedom Tower) is the main building of the new World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan, New York City. The building is 1,776 feet (541 m) tall making it the tallest building in the Americas. Since late 2013, it is the tallest building in the United States. It opened in late 2014. It is mostly used for offices. People can view the city from an observatory near the top.
On November 8, 2013, architects in Chicago and New York City began debating about the height of the One World Trade Center and the Willis Tower. They were saying that there was a possibility that the Willis Tower is taller than the One World Trade Center.On November 12, a committee agreed that the antenna on top is part of the building, so One World Trade Center is taller than the Willis Tower.
Even after removing the antennas from the measurement, One World Trade Center is about 325 ft taller than the Willis Tower.
- Westfeldt, Amy (March 26, 2009). Freedom Tower has a new preferred name. Silverstein Properties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2009. https://www.webcitation.org/5hBhzvIg8?url=http://www.wtc.com/news/freedom-tower-has-a-new-preferred-name. Retrieved March 30, 2009.
- Stanglin, Doug (May 10, 2013). Spire permanently installed on WTC tower. Gannett Company. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/10/world-trade-center-spire/2149449/. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Moore, Jack (November 3, 2014). "World Trade Center Re-opens as Tallest Building in America". International Business Times (One World Trade Center). Archived from the original on September 4, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150904120549/http://onewtc.com/news/world-trade-center-re-opens-as-tallest-building-in-america. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Smith, Aaron (November 3, 2014). One World Trade Center, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, is open for business.. CNN Money. http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/03/news/companies/one-world-trade-center/index.html. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- One World Trade Center Observatory Opens to Public. U.S. News. https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/05/29/observatory-at-one-world-trade-center-opens-to-public. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Brennan, Morgan (April 30, 2012). "1 World Trade Center Officially New York's New Tallest Building". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2012/04/30/1-world-trade-center-officially-new-yorks-new-tallest-building/. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Brown, Eliot (January 30, 2012). "Tower Rises, And So Does Its Price Tag". https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203920204577191371172049652. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- One World Trade Center to retake title of NYC's tallest building. Fox News. April 29, 2012. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/29/one-world-trade-center-to-retake-title-nyc-tallest-building/. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "One World Trade Center – The Skyscraper Center". Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. September 11, 2015. http://skyscrapercenter.com/new-york-city/one-world-trade-center/98/. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Office Leasing". One World Trade Center. http://onewtc.com/leasing. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- "Elevating One World Trade Center". https://www.thyssenkruppelevator.com/about-us/one-world.
- "One World Trade Center". Silverstein Properties. September 16, 2015. http://www.wtc.com/about/buildings/1-world-trade-center. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "The Louis Berger Group and Hill International to Provide Program Management Services for Downtown Restoration Program and WTC Transportation Hub". August 13, 2004. http://ir.hillintl.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=197766. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- One World Trade Center at SkyscraperPage. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "One World Trade Center taller than Willis Tower". Examiner.com. http://www.examiner.com/article/one-world-trade-center-taller-than-willis-tower. Retrieved November 12, 2013.