kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Pan American World Airways
|Founded||March 14, 1927 (as Pan American Airways [PAA])|
|Commenced operations||October 19, 1927|
|Ceased operations||December 4, 1991|
|Subsidiaries||Sahsa (40%) (1945-1970) |
Pan Am Express (1987–1991)
Panagra (50%) (1928-1967)
|Destinations||86 countries on all six major continents at its peak in 1968|
|Company slogan||"The System of the Flying Clippers" (1946–1953)|
"World's Most Experienced Airline" (1953–early 1970s)
"Pan Am makes the going great" (late 1960s/early 1970s)
"Experience makes the difference" (early 1970s)
"America's airline to the world" (late 1970s)
"You can't beat the experience" (1980s)
"Die Flügel Berlins" (German for "Berlin's wings", 1980s, only in Germany)
"Every country has an airline. The World has Pan Am." (late 1980s)
"Expect More From Pan Am" (Some TV ads)
"Say Hello To Pan Am" (Pan Am-National merger)
|Parent company||Pan Am Corporation|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Key people||Juan T. Trippe|
Harold E. Gray
Najeeb E. Halaby Jr
William T. Seawell
C. Edward Acker
Thomas G. Plaskett
Russell L. Ray, Jr.
Pan Am was founded in 1926. Its first flights were from Key West, Florida to Havana, Cuba. During the 1920s and 1930s, Pan Am bought several smaller airlines in Central America and South America. These were bought to help Pan Am expand its flights throughout The Americas. Pan Am became the first airline to circumnavigate the world in 1942. By the 1950s, Pan Am had several larger airplanes like the Boeing 377, Douglas DC-6 and the Lockheed Constellation. It went to cities all across the world. In 1959, Pan Am bought its first jet - the Boeing 707. In 1970, Pan Am introduced its first widebody jet - the Boeing 747.
In 1980, Pan Am was combined with National Airlines. This was because Pan Am wanted to fly domestic flights and the government didn't allow it. When Pan Am bought National, it could finally fly domestically. In the 1980s, Pan Am started having many financial problems, having paid too much to buy National Airlines. Pan Am also spent too much money on the new Boeing 747s. The Gulf War of 1990 also caused many problems with Pan Am's transatlantic flights. Pan Am declared bankruptcy in January 1991. Delta Air Lines bought small parts of Pan Am and tried to help it. However, on December 4, 1991 Pan Am stopped flying due to the big financial problems. United Airlines got many of Pan Am's old flights. American Airlines got Pan Am's Miami hub. Pan Am was resurrected twice in 1996 and 1998.
- Brady, Tim (2000). The American Aviation Experience: A History. SIU Press. p. 149. . https://books.google.com/?id=7ccymjJZxLcC&pg=PA149.
- "Glamorous Crossing: How Pan Am Airways Dominated International Travel in the 1930s". 10 February 2015. https://longreads.com/2015/02/10/glamorous-crossing-how-pan-am-airways-dominated-international-travel-in-the-1930s/.
- "Who Made America? - Innovators - Juan Trippe". https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/theymadeamerica/whomade/trippe_hi.html.
- "everythingPanAm". http://www.everythingpanam.com/.
- McCarthy, Kevin M. (2003). Aviation in Florida. Pineapple Press Inc. p. 17. . https://books.google.com/?id=jdIClpM7DgQC&pg=PA17.
- Harris, Don (2011). Pan Am: A History of the Airline that Defined America. BookCaps Study Guides. p. 47. . https://books.google.com/?id=hOp_sHhGTXQC&pg=PA47.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". https://www.bloomberg.com/tosv2.html?vid=&uuid=1e9ca920-3132-11e9-aef1-45fc146ee96e&url=L2J3L3N0b3JpZXMvMTk5NS0wMi0xOS9ob3ctZGVsdGEtZmxldy1jaXJjbGVzLWFyb3VuZC1wYW4tYW0taW4tY291cnQ=.
- "Pan American World Airways - JPB Transportation". https://jpbtransconsulting.com/tag/pan-american-world-airways/.
- Salpukas, Agis (23 April 1985). "Pan Am Plans Sale of Pacific Routes to United Airlines". https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/23/business/pan-am-plans-sale-of-pacific-routes-to-united-airlines.html.
- "Pan Am Today". http://www.everythingpanam.com/Pan_Am_Today.html.