kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Higgs at birthday celebration for Michael Atiyah, April 2009
|Born||Peter Ware Higgs|
29 May 1929
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh |
Imperial College London
University College London
|Alma mater||King's College London|
|Doctoral advisor||Charles Coulson|
|Doctoral students||Christopher Bishop|
|Known for||Broken symmetry in electroweak theory|
|Notable awards||Wolf Prize in Physics (2004)|
Sakurai Prize (2010)
Dirac Medal (1997)
He was awarded the 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics for predicting the existence of the Higgs boson, the "most sought-after particle in modern physics". Higgs shared the prize with François Englert. Higgs was appointed to the Order of the Companions of Honour in 2013.
In the 1960s, he proposed broken symmetry in electroweak theory. This explains the origin of mass of elementary particles in general. It also shows the origin of the W and Z bosons. The theory known as Higgs mechanism was proposed by several physicists at the same time. It proposes the existence of a new particle, the Higgs boson. On 4 July 2012, CERN announced they had found a new particle much like the Higgs boson in experiments, but that more work was necessary to analyse its properties and see if it had the properties expected from the Standard Model Higgs boson.
- Griggs, Jessica. "The Missing Piece" from Edit the University of Edinburgh Alumni Magazine Summer 2008, p17
- Griffiths, Martin 2007. physicsworld.com The Tale of the Blog's Boson Retrieved on 27 May 2008
- Fermilab Today (16 June 2005) Fermilab results of the week. Top quarks are Higgs' best friend Retrieved on 27 May 2008
- Amos, Jonathan 2013. Higgs: Five decades of noble endeavour BBC News Science and Environmentt, Retrieved 8 October 2013
- Rincon, Paul (28 December 2012). Peter Higgs: honour for physicist who proposed particle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20855404. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Higgs boson-like particle discovery claimed at LHC". BBC. 4 July 2012. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455.
- "CERN Press Release: CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson". Cdsweb.cern.ch. http://cdsweb.cern.ch/journal/CERNBulletin/2012/28/News%20Articles/1459454?ln=en. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Rincon, Paul 2004. Fermilab 'God Particle' may have been seen Retrieved on 2008-05-27