kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Republic of Cameroon
République du Cameroun
|1 January 1960|
• Annexation of former British Cameroon
|1 October 1961|
|475,442 km2 (183,569 sq mi) (54th)|
• Water (%)
• July 2009 estimate
• 2003 census
|39.7/km2 (102.8/sq mi) (167th)|
Cameroon (officially called Republic of Cameroon) is a country in west Africa. Its capital is Yaoundé. The largest city in Cameroon is Douala. The population of Cameroon is about 20 million. Cameroon's president is Paul Biya, and the Prime Minister is Philémon Yang.
At 475,442 square kilometres (183,569 sq mi), Cameroon is the world's 53rd-largest country. It is about the size of Papua New Guinea. The country is in Central and West Africa on the Bight of Bonny, part of the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean. The country's neighbours are Nigeria to the west; Chad to the northeast; the Central African Republic to the east; and Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and the Republic of the Congo to the south.
The regions are divided into 58 divisions. These are headed by presidentially appointed divisional officers.
Some of the largest cities in Cameroon are:
- "Cameroon". Infoplease. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107382.html. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "Cameroon". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2008&ey=2011&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=622&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=42&pr.y=13. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- "Distribution of family income – Gini index". The World Factbook. CIA. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2172.html. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- Demographic Yearbook 1.
- "Cameroon". CIA World Factbook. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cm.html. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "Rank Order – Area".
- Décret N° 2008/376 du 12 novembre 2008, President of the Republic website. Accessed 9 June 2009.