kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Ripe North American cantaloupes (C. m. reticulatus)|
C. m. cantalupensis
C. m. reticulatus
| Cucumis melo cantalupensis|
Cucumis melo reticulatus
A cantaloupe (also known as a rockmelon, sweet melon, or spanspek) is a type of fruit. It is a muskmelon that is probably related to the watermelon. There are two types of cantaloupe, European and North American. Cantaloupes range in size from 0.5 to 5.0 kilograms (1.1 to 11 lb).
Types of cantaloupe
- The European cantaloupe is oblong with a light green skin.
- The North American cantaloupe is round with a thin light brown skin. The flesh of the fruit is firm, orange and sweet.
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||141 kJ (34 kcal)|
|- Sugars||7.86 g|
|- Dietary fiber||0.9 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||169 μg (19%)|
|- beta-carotene||2020 μg (19%)|
|Thiamine (Vit. B1)||0.041 mg (3%)|
|Riboflavin (Vit. B2)||0.019 mg (1%)|
|Niacin (Vit. B3)||0.734 mg (5%)|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||0.105 mg (2%)|
|Vitamin B6||0.072 mg (6%)|
|Folate (Vit. B9)||21 μg (5%)|
|Vitamin B12||0.00 μg (0%)|
|Vitamin C||36.7 mg (61%)|
|Vitamin E||0.05 mg (0%)|
|Vitamin K||2.5 μg (2%)|
|Calcium||9 mg (1%)|
|Iron||0.21 mg (2%)|
|Magnesium||12 mg (3%)|
|Phosphorus||15 mg (2%)|
|Zinc||0.18 mg (2%)|
| Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.|
Source: USDA Nutrient database
Cantaloupes are a source of polyphenol antioxidants. These are chemicals which were thought to provide certain health benefits to the cardiovascular and immune systems by regulating the formation of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a key chemical in promoting health of the endothelium and prevention of heart attacks. However, recent research has indicated they do not benefit the body. The body already has ways to deal with oxidation.
Cantaloupes also are an excellent source of vitamin C.
Dirty cantaloupes can spread bacteria. In 2011, 21 people died in the United States from cantaloupes having listeria bacteria. The bad cantaloupes were traced back from around the country to a single farm in Colorado.
- Associated Press (October 7, 2011). "21 deaths now linked to listeria in cantaloupe, new deaths reported in Indiana, New York". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/21-deaths-now-linked-to-listeria-in-cantaloupe-new-deaths-reported-in-indiana-new-york/2011/10/07/gIQApgSTTL_story.html. Retrieved October 10, 2011.
- Nutritional and Historical Information
- MSNBC Article on Farming of Hybridization That Mentions Cantaloupes