kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Union of the Comoros
and largest city
|Government||Federal presidential republic|
• President of the Assembly
|Legislature||Assembly of the Union|
• Discovery by Portuguese explorers
• Protectorate of the Comoros
|6 September 1887|
• Territory under French Madagascar
|9 April 1908|
|27 October 1946|
• State of Comoros
|22 December 1961|
• Independence from France
|6 July 1975|
• Federal and Islamic Republic of Comoros
|24 May 1978|
• Union of the Comoros
|23 December 2001|
|17 May 2009|
|1,659 km2 (641 sq mi) (171tha)|
• Water (%)
• 2018 estimate
|457/km2 (1,183.6/sq mi) (27th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2019 estimate|
|$2.446 billion (178th)|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2019 estimate|
|$1.179 billion (182nd)|
• Per capita
|Gini (2013)||▼ 45.0|
medium · 141st
|HDI (2018)|| 0.538|
low · 156th
|Currency||Comorian franc (KMF)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
|ISO 3166 code||KM|
Comoros (officially called Union of the Comoros) is a small island nation in the Indian Ocean. It is between Madagascar and mainland Africa. The capital is Moroni on Grande Comore. The population (except for Mayotte) is about 798,000 people.
The Comoros is formed by Ngazidja (Grande Comore), Mwali (Mohéli) and Nzwani (Anjouan), the three major islands in the Comoros Archipelago. There are also many minor islets. The islands are officially known by their Comorian language names. International sources still use their French names (given in parentheses above). The capital and largest city is Moroni on Ngazidja.
At 2,034 km2 (785 sq mi), it is one of the smallest countries in the world. The interiors of the islands vary from steep mountains to low hills.
The climate is generally tropical and mild. The rainy season runs from December to April. It is called kashkazi/kaskazi, meaning north monsoon. The cool, dry season is from May to November. It is called kusi, meaning south monsoon.
The temperature reaches an average of 29–30 °C (84–86 °F) in March, the hottest month. The average low is 19 °C (66 °F) in the dry season. The islands are rarely subject to cyclones.
The islands have their own ecoregion, the Comoros forests.
In November 1975, the Comoros became the 143rd member of the United Nations. The citizens of Mayotte chose to become French citizens and keep their island as a French territory.
- "Comoros". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2016/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=87&pr.y=7&sy=2014&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=632&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC&grp=0&a=. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- "GINI index". World Bank. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.GINI?order=wbapi_data_value_2007+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=asc&page=1. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Human Development Report 2019" (in en) (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. 10 December 2019. http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/2019-human-development-index-ranking. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
- Human Development Indices, Table 3: Human and income poverty, p. 35. Retrieved on 1 June 2009