kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Hatnote' not found.
|Created by||Edgar de Wahl (1922)|
|Setting and usage||International auxiliary language|
Interlingue is a constructed language. It was called Occidental between 1922 and 1947. Edgar von Wahl, one of the first Esperantists created it. Von Wahl was from the Russian Empire. He spoke German, Russian, Estonian and French since he was a child. He had natural ability in languages. He is often called de Wahl.
There were already many types of constructed languages during de Wahl's time. Some of them, like Esperanto and Ido, were called schematic because they followed their own design. Others, like Latino sine flexione and Idiom Neutral, were called naturalistic because they tried to look like natural languages. The difficulty was that creators had to choose between being regular or looking natural. Louis Couturat, the creator of Ido, wrote the same thing in 1903, and called it a paradox: "The international words are not regular, and the regular words are not international." The language that de Wahl made was meant to be a language that was both regular and international at the same time.
Writings on the subject
- Haas, Fritz. 1956. Grammatica de Interlingue in Interlingue. Interlingue-Servicie Winterthur (Svissia).  (in Interlingue)
- Jacob, Henry. 1947 Occidental (1922) by Edgar de Wahl en 0' A Planned Auxiliary Language Publicate: London, Dobson, London. 1947  (in English)
- Rodriguez, José María. 1999. Breve gramática de Interlinguie/Occidental en Gazeto Andaluzia (órgano oficial de la Asociación Andaluza de Esperanto) N° 57 marzo 1999.  (in Esperanto)
- Stenström, Ingvar. 1997. Occidental-Interlingue: Factos e fato de un lingua international. Societate Svedese pro Interlingua. ISBN 91-971940-2-6. (in Interlingua)
|This language has its own Wikipedia project. See the Interlingue edition.|
|The English Wikibooks has more information on:|
- "Cosmoglotta, Nr. 41 (4), Juli-August 1927". http://dicta.bplaced.net/bibliotheca_occidental/cmg/cmg041.html.
- Couturat, Louis; Leau, Léopold (1903). Histoire de la langue universelle. Robarts - University of Toronto. Paris Hachette. http://archive.org/details/histoiredelalang00coutuoft.