kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|68th United States Secretary of State|
February 1, 2013 – January 20, 2017
|Deputy||William Joseph Burns|
|Preceded by||Hillary Rodham Clinton|
|Succeeded by||Rex Tillerson|
|United States Senator|
January 3, 1985 – February 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Paul Tsongas|
|Succeeded by||Mo Cowan|
|Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations|
January 6, 2009 – February 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Joe Biden|
|Succeeded by||Bob Menendez|
|Chairman of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship|
January 4, 2007 – January 3, 2009
|Preceded by||Olympia Snowe|
|Succeeded by||Mary Landrieu|
June 6, 2001 – January 3, 2003
|Preceded by||Kit Bond|
|Succeeded by||Olympia Snowe|
January 3, 2001 – January 20, 2001
|Preceded by||Kit Bond|
|Succeeded by||Kit Bond|
|66th Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts|
March 6, 1983 – January 2, 1985
|Preceded by||Thomas O'Neill|
|Succeeded by||Evelyn Murphy|
John Forbes Kerry
December 11, 1943
Aurora, Colorado, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Julia Thorne (1970–1988)|
Teresa Heinz (1995–present)
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Awards|| Silver Star|
Bronze Star Medal
Purple Heart (3)
|Years of service||1966 – 1978|
|Unit||USS Gridley (DLG-21)|
Coastal Squadron 1
John Forbes Kerry (born December 11, 1943) is an American politician. He is a former United States Secretary of State and former Senator from Massachusetts and the Democratic nominee for President in 2004. He lost to George W. Bush. He has served in the senate for 23 years and has also served as the lieutenant governor of Massachusetts under Michael Dukakis. Kerry is married to Teresa Heinz-Kerry.
Kerry was born on December 11, 1943 at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center in Aurora, Colorado. His father was an officer in the United States Army Air Force. He studied at Yale University and at Boston College Law school. Kerry was raised as a Roman Catholic by his Catholic father and Episcopalian mother.
It was discovered in 2003 by Felix Gundacker, a genealogist working with The Boston Globe, that Kerry's paternal grandparents, who had been born Jewish, as "Fritz Kohn" and "Ida Löwe", in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, changed their names to "Frederick and Ida Kerry" in 1900 and converted from Judaism to Roman Catholicism in 1901
In 1968 and 1969, Kerry was a United States Navy officer in Vietnam. During the 2012 Obama reelection campaign, Kerry participated in one on one debate prep with the president, impersonating the Republican candidate Mitt Romney.
Kerry's vice presidential candidate was John Edwards. The ticket lost the election to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. One of the reasons Kerry lost is because people said he was an elitist (he did not understand most Americans) and also because a group called "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" attacked his service in Vietnam.
In November 2006, Kerry once apologizes after saying that college students needed to study hard or else they would "get stuck in Iraq."
Secretary of State
On December 21, 2012, President Barack Obama nominated Kerry to succeed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. The committee said yes on making Kerry the new Secretary of State. Kerry won confirmation by the Senate on January 29, 2012 by a 94-3 vote. He assumed the office of Secretary of State on February 1, 2013.
He was married to Julia from 1970 until they divorced in 1988. Then he was married to Teresa Heinz since 1995. He has two children and three step-children. He now lives in Boston, Massachusetts. Kerry and his former competitor George W. Bush share an ancestor on Kerry's mother's side and Bush's father's side from the 1600s.
Kerry is 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) tall, enjoys surfing and windsurfing, as well as ice hockey, hunting and playing bass guitar. According to an interview he gave to Rolling Stone magazine in 2004, Kerry's favorite album is Abbey Road and he is a fan of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, as well as of Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Buffett. He never liked heavy metal. During his 2004 presidential campaign, Kerry used Bruce Springsteen's "No Surrender" as one of his campaign songs. Later he would adopt U2's "Beautiful Day" as his official campaign song.
- "johnkerry.com". http://www.johnkerry.com/pages/about/.
- Caldwell, Deborah, "Not a Prodigal Son", beliefnet.com, August 2004.
- Berger, Joseph (May 16, 2004). "Kerry's Grandfather Left Judaism Behind in Europe". The New York Times. https://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CEEDF173FF935A25756C0A9629C8B63. Retrieved January 8, 2008.
- Kranish, Michael; Mooney, Brian C.; Easton, Nina J. (April 27, 2004). "John Kerry: The Complete Biography by The Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best". The Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/book/excerpt/. Retrieved January 8, 2008.
- Whitmore, Brian (February 22, 2004). "Hearing of roots, Czech village roots Kerry on". The Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/02/22/hearing_of_roots_czech_village_roots_kerry_on/. Retrieved January 8, 2008.
- Rama, Padmananda (November 8, 2012). "Likely Suspects: Guessing Obama's Second-Term Cabinet". North Country Public Radio. http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/164617347/likely-suspects-guessing-obama-s-second-term-cabinet. Retrieved April 23, 2020.
- "John Kerry Fast Facts". CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/us/john-kerry---fast-facts/. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Landler, Mark (December 21, 2012). Kerry Is Pick for Secretary of State, Official Says. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/politics/kerry-is-pick-for-secretary-of-state-official-says.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- News, A. B. C.. "Sources: Kerry to Be Nominated to Be Secretary". http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/john-kerry-to-be-nominated-to-be-secretary-of-state-sources-say/.
- "John Kerry To Get Secretary Of State Nomination, Reports ABC". Huffington Post. December 15, 2012. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/15/john-kerry-secretary-of-state_n_2306877.html. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- Curry, Tom (January 29, 2013). Senate votes to confirm Kerry as secretary of state. http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/29/16758482-senate-votes-to-confirm-kerry-as-secretary-of-state. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- Senate Roll Call Vote. January 29, 2013. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00005. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Kerry, John (January 29, 2013). Letter to Deval Patrick. http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/2013/01/29kerry/resignation_letter.pdf. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "CLINTON OUT, KERRY IN AS SECRETARY OF STATE". Associated Press. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-interview-clinton-raps-benghazi-critics. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- Roberts, Joel (February 11, 2009). "Bush, Kerry & Hefner: Odd Cousins". CBS. CBS Interactive. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-604163.html. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Nagourney, Adam (December 9, 2002). "Antiwar Veteran Eager for Battle". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/09/politics/campaigns/09KERR.html.
- Wenner, Jann S. (November 11, 2004). John Kerry. Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on January 4, 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070104074710/http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6562106/john_kerry.
- Sen. Kerry 's Surgery A Success. CBS. February 11, 2003. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/11/politics/main540196.shtml.
| Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- JohnKerry.com—John Kerry's political web site
- johnkerry. com/about/john_kerry/military_records.html Kerry's military records—from JohnKerry.com via the Internet Archive
- John Kerry for Senate-Official 2008 senatorial re-election campaign website
- John Kerry's Online Office—Official senatorial site
- Campaign for Our Country—PAC led by Kerry
- John Kerry's letter to his parents about Richard Pershing's death—1968.
- Statement on behalf of Vietnam Veterans Against the War—April 1971.
- John Kerry's Senate hearing testimony to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 1971 (PDF file)
- John Kerry's complete 1971 statement before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee from National Review
- Selections from John Kerry's 1971 statement before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
- The BCCI Affair, A Report to the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate, by Senator John Kerry and Senator Hank Brown, December 1992
- Obama rally with John Kerry and Others MP3 on February 2, 2008 in Sacramento, CA
- Irish Catholic or Czech Jew?—Kerry's long lost Jewish ethnic ancestry
- Schanberg, Sydney H., When John Kerry's Courage Went M.I.A., The Village Voice, February 17, 2004
- Kranish, Michael, John Kerry: Candidate in the making, The Boston Globe, June 15, 2003
- Profile: John Kerry, Paul Reynolds, BBC News, November 5, 2004
- Frontline: the choice 2004—Thorough two-hour special comparing Kerry and Bush
- Researcher Alleges Potential Plagiarism in 11 Passages of Kerry's Writings