kidzsearch.com > wiki
Official portrait, 2004
|46th Vice President of the United States|
January 20, 2001 – January 20, 2009
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Al Gore|
|Succeeded by||Joe Biden|
|17th United States Secretary of Defense|
March 20, 1989 – January 20, 1993
|President||George H. W. Bush|
|Deputy||Donald J. Atwood, Jr.|
|Preceded by||Frank Carlucci|
|Succeeded by||Les Aspin|
|15th U.S. House Minority Whip|
January 3, 1989 – March 20, 1989
|Leader||Robert H. Michel|
|Preceded by||Trent Lott|
|Succeeded by||Newt Gingrich|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Wyoming's At-large district
January 3, 1979 – March 20, 1989
|Preceded by||Teno Roncalio|
|Succeeded by||Craig L. Thomas|
|7th White House Chief of Staff|
November 21, 1975 – January 20, 1977
|Preceded by||Donald Rumsfeld|
|Succeeded by||Hamilton Jordan|
|Born||January 30, 1941|
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
|Alma mater||University of Wyoming|
Richard Bruce "Dick" Cheney (born January 30, 1941) is an American politician and businessman. He was the 46th vice president of the United States from 2001 to 2009. As a Republican, he ran in the 2000 United States presidential election with George W. Bush, and successfully won re-election in the 2004 United States presidential election. Before he became vice president, he was the Secretary of Defense from 1989 to 1993, during George H. W. Bush's presidency. He was also a member of the House of Representatives from 1979 to 1989, and was White House chief of staff from 1975 to 1977.
Dick Cheney was the former representative for Wyoming's At-large congressional district. He served in the George H. W. Bush administration from 1989-1993 as a cabinet member. He was a Congressman, and White House Chief of Staff.
Vice presidency (2001–2009)
As Vice President, Cheney was the head of the Senate and cast six tie-breaking votes and he was replaced by Joe Biden as Vice President on January 20, 2009.
Cheney lives in Wyoming. He is an active hunter. In 2006, he shot a friend by mistake while hunting. He did not run for President in 2008. He has criticized President Barack Obama. His wife Lynne Cheney is a distant cousin of President Barack Obama and he is an 8th cousin of President Barack Obama. He is a 9th cousin, once removed of George W. Bush. Cheney is distantly related to Harry S. Truman and Robert Duvall by the Duvall family. He is distantly related to American Express founder Benjamin Pierce Cheney.
Dick and Lynne Cheney have 2 daughters, Elizabeth and Mary. Mary is openly lesbian and Dick supports same sex marriage along with Mary. Liz is the Congresswoman at-large from Wyoming in the United States House of Representatives.
- Battle, Robert A., "Ancestry of Richard Bruce Cheney". Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "New England's Big Family Our Town's, Manchester (Dick Cheney)" Archived 2010-01-15 at the Wayback Machine, American Patriot Friends Network. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Dick Cheney is a descendant of William Cheney (1604–1667), who was a native of England and was recorded to be in Roxbury, Massachusetts by 1640. while Benjamin Pierce Cheney was a descendant of William's brother, John Cheney, who was recorded in Roxbury in 1635 and who moved to Newbury, Massachusetts, the following year. See Charles Henry Pope, The Cheney Genealogy, Vol. 1, pp. 17–33, Boston: Charles H. Pope, 1897; The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Vol. X, pp. 213–214, New York: James T. White & Company, 1909, reprint of 1900 edition.
- "Richard B. Cheney – George H.W. Bush Administration". Office of the Secretary of Defense – Historical Office. http://history.defense.gov/Multimedia/Biographies/Article-View/Article/571284/richard-b-cheney/.
- Lynne Cheney: VP, Obama are eighth cousins l. October 17, 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21340764#.T3uFUxB5mSM. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- US Department of State from the Internet Archive
- The New York Times — Dick Cheney archives
- Vice Presidential Debate, October 5, 2004: Transcript text, Audio and Video (RealPlayer or MPG format)