kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Tony Award for Best Musical
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
Awards and nominations
- 1950 South Pacific - Music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, book by Oscar Hammerstein II and Joshua Logan.
- 1953 Wonderful Town - Book by Joseph Fields and Jerome Chodorov, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.
- 1954 Kismet - Book by Charles Lederer and Luther Davis, music by Alexander Borodin, adapted and with lyrics by Robert Wright and George Forrest.
- 1955 The Pajama Game - Book by George Abbott and Richard Bissell, music and lyrics by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross.
- Peter Pan. Book by Jerome Robbins, music by Moose Charlap and Jule Styne and lyrics by Carolyn Leigh, Betty Comden and Adolph Green
- Plain and Fancy. Book by Joseph Stein and Will Glickman, music by Albert Hague, and lyrics by Arnold Horwitt.
- Silk Stockings. Book, music abd lyrics by Cole Porter
- 1956 Damn Yankees - Book by George Abbott and Douglass Wallop, music by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross.
- 1957 My Fair Lady - Book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner, music by Frederick Loewe.
- 1958 The Music Man - Book by Meredith Willson and Franklin Lacey, music and lyrics by Meredith Willson.
- West Side Story. Book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
- New Girl In Town. Book by George Abbott, music and lyrics by Bob Merrill.
- Oh, Captain!. Book by Al Morgan and José Ferrer, music and lyrics by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans.
- Jamaica. Book by E. Y. Harburg and Fred Saidy, music by Harold Arlen, lyrics by E. Y. Harburg.
- 1959 Redhead - Book by Herbert and Dorothy Fields, Sidney Sheldon and David Shaw, music by Albert Hague, lyrics by Dorothy Fields.
- 1960 (tie) - The Sound of Music - Book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, music by Richard Rodgers.
- AND Fiorello!. Book by Jerome Weidman and George Abbott. Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick, music by Jerry Bock. (This is the only tie for Best Musical in the history of the Tony Awards.)
- 1961 Bye Bye Birdie - Book by Michael Stewart, music by Charles Strouse, lyrics by Lee Adams.
- 1962 How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying - Book by Abe Burrows, Jack Weinstock and Willie Gilbert, music and lyrics by Frank Loesser.
- 1963 A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - Book by Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
- 1964 Hello, Dolly! - Book by Michael Stewart, music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.
- 1965 Fiddler on the Roof - Book by Joseph Stein, music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
- 1966 Man of La Mancha - Book by Dale Wasserman, music by Mitch Leigh, lyrics by Joe Darion.
- 1967 Cabaret - Book by Joe Masteroff, music by John Kander, lyrics by Fred Ebb.
- 1968 Hallelujah, Baby! Book by Arthur Laurents, music by Jule Styne, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.
- 1969 1776 - Book by Peter Stone, music and lyrics by Sherman Edwards.
- 1970 Applause - Book by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, music by Charles Strouse, lyrics by Lee Adams.
- 1971 Company. - Book by George Furth, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
- 1972 Two Gentlemen of Verona. - Based on the play by William Shakespeare. Music by Galt MacDermot, lyrics by John Guare.
- 1973 A Little Night Music. - Book by Hugh Wheeler, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
- 1974 Raisin. - Book by Robert Nemiroff and Charlotte Zaltzberg, music by Judd Woldin, lyrics by Robert Brittan.
- 1975 The Wiz. - Book by William F. Brown, music and lyrics by Charlie Smalls.
- 1976 A Chorus Line. - Book by James Kirkwood, music by Marvin Hamlisch, lyrics by Edward Kleban.
- 1977 Annie. - Book by Thomas Meehan, music by Charles Strouse, lyrics by Martin Charnin
- 1978 Ain't Misbehavin'. - Music by Thomas "Fats" Waller.
- 1979 Sweeney Todd. - Book by Hugh Wheeler, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
- 1980 Evita. - Book and lyrics by Tim Rice, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- 1981 42nd Street. - Book by Michael Stewart and Mark Bramble, music by Harry Warren, lyrics by Al Dubin.
- 1982 Nine. - Book by Arthur Kopit, music and lyrics by Maury Yeston.
- Dreamgirls. - Book and lyrics by Tom Eyen, music by Henry Krieger.
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. - Book and lyrics by Tim Rice, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- Pump Boys and Dinettes. - Book, music, and lyrics by Pump Boys and Dinettes (theatre organization featuring John Foley, Mark Hardwick, Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, John Schimmel, and Jim Wann).
- 1983 Cats. - Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics from the poems of T. S. Eliot with additional lyrics by Trevor Nunn.
- 1984 La Cage aux Folles. - Book by Harvey Fierstein, music and lyrics by Jerry Herman.
- 1985 Big River. - Book by William Hauptman, music and lyrics by Roger Miller.
- 1986 The Mystery of Edwin Drood. - Book, music, and lyrics by Rupert Holmes.
- 1987 Les Misérables. - Book by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil, music by Claude-Michel Schönberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer.
- 1988 The Phantom of the Opera. - Book by Richard Stilgoe and Andrew Lloyd Webber, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by Charles Hart.
- 1989 Jerome Robbins' Broadway. - No credited authors, directed by Jerome Robbins.
- 1990 City of Angels - Book by Larry Gelbart, lyrics by David Zippel, music by Cy Coleman
- 1991 The Will Rogers Follies - Book by Peter Stone, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, music by Cy Coleman
- 1992 Crazy for You - Book by Ken Ludwig, lyrics by Ira Gershwin, music by George Gershwin
- 1993 Kiss of the Spider Woman - Book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Fred Ebb, music by John Kander
- 1994 Passion - Book by James Lapine, music & lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
- 1995 Sunset Boulevard - Book by Christopher Hampton and Don Black, lyrics by Don Black, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
- 1996 Rent - Book, music, and lyrics by Jonathan Larson
- Bring in 'da Noise/Bring in 'da Funk - Book by Reg E. Gaines; lyrics by Reg E. Gaines, George C. Wolfe, and Ann Duquesnay; music by Daryl Waters, Zane Mark, and Ann Duquesnay
- Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Book adapted by Graciela Daniele and Jim Lewis, based on the novel by Gabriel García Márquez; music by Bob Telson
- Swinging on a Star - Book by Michael Leeds, lyrics by Johnny Burke, music by various composers
- 1997 Titanic - Book by Peter Stone, music & lyrics by Maury Yeston
- 1998 The Lion King - Book by Roger Allers and Irene Mecchi; lyrics by Tim Rice; music by Elton John; additional music & lyrics by Lebo M, Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin, Julie Taymor, and Hans Zimmer
- 1999 Fosse - Conceived by Richard Maltby, Jr., Chet Walker and Ann Reinking, music & lyrics by various composers
- The Civil War - Book by Gregory Boyd and Frank Wildhorn, lyrics by Jack Murphy, music by Frank Wildhorn
- It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues - Book by Charles Bevel, Lita Gaithers, Randal Myler, Ron Taylor, and Dan Wheetman; music & lyrics by various composers
- Parade - Book by Alfred Uhry, music & lyrics by Jason Robert Brown
- 2000 Contact - Conceived by Susan Stroman and John Weidman, book by John Weidman, music & lyrics by various composers
- 2001 The Producers - Book by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, music & lyrics by Mel Brooks
- 2002 Thoroughly Modern Millie - Book by Richard Morris and Dick Scanlan, new lyrics by Dick Scanlan, new music by Jeanine Tesori
- Mamma Mia! - Book by Catherine Johnson, music & lyrics by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus
- Sweet Smell of Success: The Musical - Book by John Guare, lyrics by Craig Carnelia, music by Marvin Hamlisch
- Urinetown The Musical - Book by Greg Kotis, lyrics by Greg Kotis and Mark Hollman, music by Mark Hollman
- 2003 Hairspray - Book by Thomas Meehan, music by Marc Shaiman, lyrics by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman
- 2004 Avenue Q - Book by Jeff Whitty, music & lyrics by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx
- 2005 Monty Python's Spamalot - Book by Eric Idle, music by John Du Prez and Eric Idle, lyrics by Eric Idle' based on the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- 2006 Jersey Boys - Book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Ellice, music and lyrics by Bob Gaudio and Bob Crewe
- The Color Purple - Book by Marsha Norman, music & lyrics by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis, and Stephen Bray
- The Drowsy Chaperone - Book by Bob Martin and Don McKellar, music & lyrics by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison
- The Wedding Singer - Book by Tim Herlihy and Chad Beguelin, music by Matthew Sklar, lyrics by Chad Beguelin
- 2007 Spring Awakening - Book by Steven Sater, music by Duncan Sheik, lyrics by Steven Sater