kidzsearch.com > wiki
|20th United States Secretary of Defense|
January 24, 1997 – January 20, 2001
Rudy de Leon
|Preceded by||William Perry|
|Succeeded by||Donald Rumsfeld|
|Chairman of the Senate Aging Committee|
January 4, 1995 – January 3, 1997
|Preceded by||David Pryor|
|Succeeded by||Chuck Grassley|
|Chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee|
January 5, 1981 – January 3, 1983
|Preceded by||John Melcher|
|Succeeded by||Mark Andrews|
|United States Senator|
January 3, 1979 – January 3, 1997
|Preceded by||Bill Hathaway|
|Succeeded by||Susan Collins|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Maine's 2nd district
January 3, 1973 – January 3, 1979
|Preceded by||Bill Hathaway|
|Succeeded by||Olympia Snowe|
William Sebastian Cohen
August 28, 1940
Bangor, Maine, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Diana Dunn (divorced 1987)|
Janet Langhart (1996–present)
|Alma mater||Bowdoin College|
Cohen was a member of the city council of Bangor, Maine from 1969 to 1972, and also was mayor of this city from 1971 to 1972.
BBC News hired Cohen as a world affairs analyst in May 2016. Cohen appears in this capacity on BBC World News America and other broadcasts. He also serves as an Advisory Board member for the Partnership for a Secure America. Cohen is also a member of the ReFormers Caucus of Issue One.
On February 14, 1996, Cohen and Janet Langhart were married. Langhart is a former model, Boston television personality, and BET correspondent. Janet Langhart was known as the "First Lady of the Pentagon" during Cohen's tenure as Secretary.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting
On the afternoon of June 10, 2009, Cohen was present at the United States Holocaust Museum, waiting for his wife Janet Langhart, for the world premiere of her one-act play, Anne and Emmett. The play imagines a conversation between Anne Frank and Emmett Till. While Cohen waited, an elderly man with a long gun attacked the facility, fatally shooting a security guard before being wounded himself by the other guards. Cohen and his wife were not injured during the attack.
2016 U.S. presidential election
During the 2016 U.S. presidential election, Cohen joined many Republicans in breaking with party ranks to oppose the candidacy of Republican nominee Donald Trump. He endorsed Democratic nominee former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- "William S. Cohen - William J. Clinton Administration". Office of the Secretary of Defense - Historical Office. http://history.defense.gov/Multimedia/Biographies/Article-View/Article/571281/william-s-cohen/.
- Grinapol, Corinne (May 31, 2016). William Cohen Joins BBC News as a World Affairs Analyst. http://www.adweek.com/fishbowldc/william-cohen-joins-bbc-news-as-a-world-affairs-analyst/156532. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "Issue One – ReFormers Caucus". https://www.issueone.org/reformers/.
- "www.boston.com". http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2008/05/12/mother_of_former_maine_senator_clara_cohen_dies/.
- "Janet Langhart". http://www.nndb.com/people/451/000051298/.
- "FindArticles.com - CBSi". http://www.findarticles.com/?noadc=1.
- "Arizona, the early years". Azcentral.com. http://www.azcentral.com/news/specials/mccain/articles/0301mccainbio-chapter5.html. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- Brevis, Vita. "State of the Nation". Daily Kos. http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/10/740907/-Anne-and-Emmett-and-Todays-Shooting. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Ruane, Michael E.; Duggan, Paul; Williams, Clarence (June 11, 2009). "At a Monument of Sorrow, A Burst of Deadly Violence". The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001768.html.
- "Republican ex-defense secretary Cohen backs Hillary Clinton". https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-clinton-cohen-idUSKCN11D2GK.
- Official biography via the Department of Defense
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Cohen Appearances on C-SPAN
- Thursday October 2009 Audio interview about government terrorism, individual liberty and foreign war policies. University of Illinois in-depth radio programs on Focus 580
- William Cohen to Co-Chair Genocide Prevention Task Force
- Biography from the William S. Cohen Archive, University of Maine Fogler Library
- Voting record maintained by the Washington Post