kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2014 2015 2016 – 2017 – 2018 2019 2020|
- 1 January:
- 6 January – A mass shooting occurs at the Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport in Broward County, Florida. Five people were killed while 48 were injured.
- 7 January – Mário Soares, former President and Prime Minister of Portugal who brought democracy to Portugal after a dictatorship, dies at 92 from a stroke in Lisbon.
- 8 January – Former President of Iran Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies of a heart attack in Tehran at age 82.
- 19 January – ECOWAS forces, including troops from Senegal, Ghana, and Nigeria, intervene in the Gambia's political crisis to force longtime President Yahya Jammeh to step down after losing the December 2016 elections to Adama Barrow.
- 20 January – Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States at the United States Capitol Building at noon.
- 11 February – North Korea prompts international condemnation by test firing a ballistic missile across the Sea of Japan.
- 10 March
- 22 March – a suspected terrorist attack occurs at the Westminster Bridge in London. Five people are killed including the assailant.
- 29 March – The United Kingdom invokes Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union, beginning the formal EU withdrawal process.
- 30 March – SpaceX conducts the world’s first reflight of an orbital class rocket.
- 31 March – The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository is scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- 6 April – In response to a suspected chemical weapons attack on a rebel-held town, the U.S. military launches 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at an air base in Syria. Russia describes the strikes as an "aggression", adding they significantly damage US-Russia ties.
- 8 April – 2017–18 North Korea Crisis begin threat United States with a nuclear weapon.
- 20 April – Three police officers were shot and killed at Champs-Élysées, a shopping boulevard in Paris, France.
- 7 May – In the 2017 French presidential election, Emmanuel Macron is elected President of France defeating Marine Le Pen.
- 10 May – Moon Jae-in is elected President of South Korea in the 2017 South Korean presidential election after Park Geun-hye was impeached and removed from office.
- 12 May – Computers around the world are hit by a large-scale ransomware cyberattack, which goes on to affect at least 150 countries.
- 22 – 19 May people confirmed dead in two explosions at Manchester Arena at an Ariana Grande concert.
Predicted and scheduled events
- June- Confederations cup 2017
- 1 July – The first possible government in Hong Kong elected by Universal suffrage is scheduled to take office.
- 7 August – Partial lunar eclipse
- 21 August – From 16:50 to 20:02 UTC, the first total solar eclipse of the 21st century for the United States, and the first visible in the continental U.S. since 26 February 1979, takes place. Totality will occur along a path curving from Oregon to South Carolina, and will last at most 2 minutes 40.2 seconds. The location and time of "greatest eclipse" will be on the western edge of Christian County, Kentucky at 36.9715 degrees North and 87.6559 degrees West occurring at 18:25.4716 UTC.
- Sealed government documents surrounding John F. Kennedy's assassination to be released.
- The government of China has announced it will start sending probes to the Moon in 2017, resulting in a manned Chinese landing on the moon in a few years.
- The IOC Decides the host city for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games
- In Copenhagen (Denmark), the City Circle Line extension of the metro will open.
- South Korea states that it will attempt a space mission by this year.
- Construction of London's Crossrail project is expected to be completed, with the first passenger trains running this year.
- In France the case-documents regarding the execution of assumed World War I double spy Mata Hari will be revealed.
- In Lisbon, the new Alcochete Airport starts operations.
- Phase II of the USMC VXX Presidential helicopter program, the AgustaWestland/Bell Helicopter VH-71B Kestrel, is scheduled to enter Initial operating capability.
- Gazprom hopes that its market capitalization will reach one trillion dollars.
- The European Extremely Large Telescope is scheduled to be completed.
- O. J. Simpson may be eligible for parole from the Nevada correctional system.
- Davao City, Philippines will start its construction on Davao-Samal Bridge.
- The epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007) takes place in this year.
Computer and video games
- Ever17 (2002)
- Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (2005)
- Earth Defense Force 2017 (2006)
- Cherry 2000 (1987)
- The Running Man: The beginning events occur in 2017.
- Barb Wire (1996)
- Click (2006)
- Surrogates (2009)
- The Billy Joel song, Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway) is set in this year.
- The Sheryl Crow song "Gasoline" from her album Detours tells of a gas shortage in the year 2017.
- Code-E (2007)
- Code Geass The events of the first season take place in 2017.
- SB-129 The events of a 1999 Spongebob SquarePants episode take place on 6 March of this year.
- Starboy - The Weeknd and Daft Punk
- Rockabye - Clean Bandit Anne-Marie and Sean Paul
- Despacito - Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee
- Me Enamore - Shakira
- Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift
- Chained to the Rhythm - Katy Perry
- Galway Girl - Ed Sheeran
- Million Reasons - Lady Gaga
- So Alive - Goo Goo Dolls
- American Dreams - Papa Roach
- RX (Medicate) - Theory of a Deadman
- Body Like a Back Road - Sam Hunt
- You Look Good - Lady Antebellum
- Further information: Deaths in 2017
- The Associated Press (20 January 2017). Gambia's Defeated Leader Agrees to Cede Power: Official. . https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/20/world/africa/ap-af-gambia-crisis.html. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "North Korea conducts ballistic missile test". BBC News. 12 February 2017. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38947451. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- South Korea president Park Geun-hye ousted by court. BBC News. 10 March 2017. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39202936. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- UN: World facing greatest humanitarian crisis since 1945. BBC News. 11 March 2017. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39238808. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- 'No turning back' on Brexit as Article 50 triggered. BBC News. 29 March 2017. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39431428. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Dewan, Angela; Jones, Bryony (29 March 2017). Brexit begins: UK triggers Article 50 to begin EU divorce. CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/29/europe/article-50-brexit-theresa-may-eu/index.html. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Chang, Kenneth (30 March 2017). "SpaceX Launches a Satellite With a Partly Used Rocket". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/science/spacex-launches-a-satellite-with-a-partly-used-rocket.html. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- Amos, Jonathan (31 March 2017). "Success for SpaceX 're-usable rocket'". BBC News. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39451401. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- ReviewJournal.com Article on the Yucca Mountain Project
- "Syria war: US launches missile strikes in response to chemical 'attack'". BBC News. 7 April 2017. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39523654. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Ransomware strike gives glimpse of 'cyber-apocalypse'". Sky News. 13 May 2017. http://news.sky.com/story/biggest-ransomware-attack-in-history-targets-almost-100-countries-10874647. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Ransomware: Cyber-attack threat escalating - Europol". BBC News. 14 May 2017. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39913630. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- Hermit.org Solar Eclipse Information
- CommonDreams.Org Article Regarding the release of the JFK documents
- FoxNews.com Article on China sending probes to the Moon
- The City Ring Official Website
- South Korea reaches for space in 2017
- "Kestrel". https://www.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idINL1568372120080715.
- "Russia's Gazprom Plans Pipeline to Italy". VOA News. 26 June 2007. http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/48725624_world_russias_gazprom_plans_pipeline_italy.