kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Albi: the Sainte-Cécile cathedral and the Pont Vieux.|
|Coat of arms|
|Canton||Chief town of 6 cantons|
|Mayor|| Stéphanie Guiraud-Chaumeil (UDI)|
|Elevation|| 130–308 m (427–1,010 ft)|
(avg. 169 m/554 ft)
|Land area1||44.26 km2 (17.09 sq mi)|
|- Density||1,111/km2 (2,880/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||81004/ 81000|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Albi (Occitan: Albi) is a commune in southern France. It is the prefecture of the Tarn department, in the Midi-Pyrénées region. It is on the Tarn river, about 85 km (53 mi) to the northeast of Toulouse.
The Cathars had their main centre at Albi and so they were known also as Albigens after the city. The Cathar movement was a branch of Christianity which was persecuted in the Middle Ages. Because of this, the city was almost completely destroyed in a crusade between 1209 and 1229. Since 1678, the city is the seat of an archbishop. Since 1790, it is the capital city of the Tarn department.
Albi is in southern France, in the centre of the Tarn department. The Tarn flows through the city and splits it in two; the historical city is on the left side of the river. Several small rivers, tributaries of the Tarn, flows also through the city.
The commune is at 85 km (53 mi) northeast of Toulouse and the closest cities are Castres, Toulouse, Mazamet, Graulhet, Lavaur, Gaillac, Montauban, Rodez et Carmaux. It is surrounded by the communes Lescure-d'Albigeois to the north; Saint-Juéry to the northeast; Cunac and Cambon to the east; Fréjairolles to the southeast; Puygouzon to the south; Le Sequestre, Carlus and Saliès to the southwest; Terssac, Marssac-sur-Tarn, Florentin, Rouffiac, Cagnac-les-Mines, Castelnau-de-Lévis
The average temperature for the year in Albi is 13.4 °C (56.1 °F). The warmest month, on average, is July with an average temperature of 22.3 °C (72.1 °F). The coolest month on average is January, with an average temperature of 5.4 °C (41.7 °F).
The highest recorded temperature in Albi is 41.4 °C (106.5 °F), which was recorded in August. The lowest recorded temperature in Albi is −20.4 °C (−4.7 °F), which was recorded in January.
The average amount of precipitation for the year in Albi is 1,023.6 mm (40.3 in). The month with the most precipitation on average is November with 101.6 mm (4.0 in) of precipitation. The month with the least precipitation on average is July with an average of 66 mm (2.6 in).
|Climate data for Albi, Tarn, France|
|Average high °C (°F)||9.4
|Daily mean °C (°F)||5.4
|Average low °C (°F)||1.4
|Rainfall mm (inches)||91.9
|Source: Weatherbase.com |
Albi is the prefecture of the Tarn department since 1797. It is also the capital of six Cantons:
- Albi-Centre, formed with a part of Albi (11,744 inhabitants)
- Albi-Est, formed with a part of Albi and of the commune Fréjairolles (11,734 inhabitants)
- Albi-Nord-Est, formed with a part of Albi and of the communes Arthès, Le Garric and Lescure-d'Albigeois (12,923 habitants)
- Albi-Nord-Ouest, formed with a part of Albi and of the communes Cagnac-les-Mines, Castelnau-de-Lévis, Mailhoc, Milhavet, Sainte-Croix and Villeneuve-sur-Vère (13,199 inhabitants)
- Albi-Ouest, formed with a part of Albi and of the communes Marssac-sur-Tarn and Terssac (10,641 inhabitants)
- Albi-Sud, formed with a part of Albi and of the communes Carlus, Puygouzon, Rouffiac, Saliès and Le Sequestre (13,857 inhabitants).
|Episcopal City of Albi *|
Sainte-Cécile cathedral in Albi
|Inscription||2010 (34th Session)|
There is the cathedral Ste-Cécile (St. Cecile´s cathedral) worth seeing. It is built like a fortress, in a gothic style. The cathedral is built in a very special style. Inside, there are frescoes from the Renaissance, worth a visit.
The cathedral has walls which are up to 6 metres thick. This makes it the biggest brick building in the world.
There is a museum dedicated to Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec in the city. De Touluose-Lautrec was born in the city. There are also paintings of other people in the museum.
People from Albi
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec,1864-1901, painter
- Jean-François de La Pérouse, 1741-1788, French geographer; sailed around the world.
Albi is twinned with:
- UNESCO World Heritage Centre – World Heritage Committee inscribes five new cultural sites on World Heritage List and approves two extensions to existing properties. Whc.unesco.org. Retrieved on 28 May 2014.
- "Albi". Map-France.com. http://www.map-france.com/Albi-81990/. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Populations légales 2011 de la commune - 81004-Albi" (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/ppp/bases-de-donnees/recensement/populations-legales/commune.asp?annee=2011&depcom=81004. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Albi, France - Köppen Climate Classification". Weatherbase. http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather-summary.php3?s=598852&cityname=Albi%2C+Midi-Pyr%E9n%E9es%2C+France&units=. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Liste des cantons de l'arrondissement d'Albi" (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/methodes/nomenclatures/cog/canarr.asp?codedep=81&codearr=1. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Albi|