kidzsearch.com > wiki
|City of Calgary|
|Region||Calgary Metropolitan Region|
|Adjacent municipal districts||Rocky View County and Foothills County|
|• Town||November 7, 1884|
|• City||January 1, 1894|
|Named for||Calgary, Mull|
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Manager||David Duckworth|
|• Land||825.56 km2 (318.75 sq mi)|
|• Urban||586.08 km2 (226.29 sq mi)|
|• Metro||5,110.21 km2 (1,973.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,045 m (3,428 ft)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,501.1/km2 (3,888/sq mi)|
|• Urban density||2,111/km2 (5,470/sq mi)|
|• Metro||1,392,609 (4th)|
|• Metro density||272.5/km2 (706/sq mi)|
|• Municipal census (2019)||1,285,711|
|Time zone||UTC−07:00 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−06:00 (MDT)|
|Forward sortation areas|
|Major airport||Calgary International Airport (YYC)|
|Public transit||Calgary Transit|
|Waterways||Bow River, Elbow River, Glenmore Reservoir|
|GDP (Calgary CMA)||CA$101.1 billion (2016)|
|GDP per capita (Calgary CMA)||CA$72,610 (2016)|
Around Calgary there are many farms where cows are raised.
Calgary has a humid continental climate (Dfb in the Koeppen climate classification). It has long, cold, dry winters. The summers are warm with moderate rainfall. Sometimes a wind called a Chinook blows through Calgary. This wind can make some days in winter less cold.
Calgary has a famous event called The Calgary Stampede every year. They rent many rides and have a huge festival for the city to join. The Calgary Stampede is the largest rodeo in the world. At the Stampede, cowboys can win a lot of money. Cowboys also race with chuckwagons at the Stampede. Chuckwagons are carts with four wheels pulled by horses. In 1988, the Winter Olympics were held in Calgary.
- Eric Volmers (May 13, 2012). Alberta's best in TV, film feted at Rosies. Postmedia Network. https://calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Alberta+best+film+feted+Rosies/6613055/story.html. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Curtis Stock (July 7, 2009). Alberta's got plenty of swing. Postmedia Network. https://calgaryherald.com/sports/Alberta+plenty+swing/1768383/story.html. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Location and History Profile: City of Calgary". Alberta Municipal Affairs. June 17, 2016. p. 15. http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/cfml/MunicipalProfiles/basicReport/CITY.PDF.
- "City Manager's Biography". City of Calgary. August 30, 2019. https://www.calgary.ca/ca/city-manager/city-managers-biography.html/.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and population centres, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/pd-pl/Table.cfm?Lang=Eng&T=801&SR=1&S=3&O=D&RPP=100&PR=48&CMA=0#tPopDwell.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for census metropolitan areas, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/pd-pl/Table.cfm?Lang=Eng&T=205&S=3&RPP=100.
- "2019 Census Results Released". City of Calgary. September 3, 2019. https://newsroom.calgary.ca/2019-census-results-released/.
- "Table 36-10-0468-01 Gross domestic product (GDP) at basic prices, by census metropolitan area (CMA) (x 1,000,000)". Statistics Canada. January 27, 2017. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3610046801.