kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|City of Calgary|
|Region||Calgary Metropolitan Region|
|• Town||November 7, 1884|
|• City||January 1, 1894|
|Named for||Calgary, Mull|
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Governing body|
|• Manager||Jeff Fielding|
|• Land||825.56 km2 (318.75 sq mi)|
|• Urban||586.08 km2 (226.29 sq mi)|
|• Metro||5,110.21 km2 (1,973.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,045 m (3,428 ft)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,501.1/km2 (3,888/sq mi)|
|• Urban density||2,111/km2 (5,470/sq mi)|
|• Metro||1,392,609 (4th)|
|• Metro density||272.5/km2 (706/sq mi)|
|• Municipal census (2019)||1,285,711|
|Time zone||UTC−07:00 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−06:00 (MDT)|
|Forward sortation areas|
|Highways||1, 1A, 2, 2A, 8, 22X, 201, 772|
|Waterways||Bow River, Elbow River, Glenmore Reservoir|
|GDP||US$ 97.9 billion|
|GDP per capita||US$ 69,826|
Around Calgary there are many farms where cows are raised.
Calgary has a humid continental climate (Dfb in the Koeppen climate classification). It has long, cold, dry winters. The summers are warm with moderate rainfall. Sometimes a wind called a Chinook blows through Calgary. This wind can make some days in winter less cold.
Calgary has a famous event called The Calgary Stampede every year. They rent many rides and have a huge festival for the city to join. The Calgary Stampede is the largest rodeo in the world. At the Stampede, cowboys can win a lot of money. Cowboys also race with chuckwagons at the Stampede. Chuckwagons are carts with four wheels pulled by horses. In 1988, the Winter Olympics were held in Calgary.
- Eric Volmers (May 13, 2012). Alberta's best in TV, film feted at Rosies. Postmedia Network. Archived from the original on June 17, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120617170236/http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Alberta%2Bbest%2Bfilm%2Bfeted%2BRosies/6613055/story.html. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Curtis Stock (July 7, 2009). Alberta's got plenty of swing. Postmedia Network. https://calgaryherald.com/sports/Alberta+plenty+swing/1768383/story.html. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Fromhold, Joachim (2001). 2001 Indian Place Names of the West - Part 1. Calgary: Lulu. pp. CCC. . https://books.google.com/?id=ahvVAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT47&lpg=PT47&dq=Wincheesh-pah#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Fromhold, Joachim (2001). 2001 INDIAN PLACE NAMES OF THE WEST, Part 2: Listings by Nation. Calgary: Lulu. pp. 24. . https://books.google.com/?id=GKQXBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=mokinstsis#v=onepage&q=mokinstsis&f=false.
- "Location and History Profile: City of Calgary". Alberta Municipal Affairs. June 17, 2016. p. 15. http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/cfml/MunicipalProfiles/basicReport/CITY.PDF. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. May 24, 2013. http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/mc_municipal_officials_search.cfm. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and population centres, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/pd-pl/Table.cfm?Lang=Eng&T=801&SR=1&S=3&O=D&RPP=100&PR=48&CMA=0#tPopDwell. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for census metropolitan areas, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/pd-pl/Table.cfm?Lang=Eng&T=205&S=3&RPP=100. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "2019 Census Results Released". City of Calgary. September 3, 2019. https://newsroom.calgary.ca/2019-census-results-released/. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- "Global city GDP 2014". Brookings Institution. Archived from the original on June 5, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130605135349/http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/global-metro-monitor-3. Retrieved November 18, 2014.