kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Republic of Palau
Beluu er a Belau
|Anthem: Belau rekid
Location of Palau (circled) in the western Pacific Ocean.
|Capital||Ngerulmud, Melekeok Statea|
|Recognised regional languages|
|Ethnic groups (2000)|
|Government||Unitary presidential democratic republic|
|-||Vice President||Antonio Bells|
|-||Compact of Free Association with the United States||1 October 1994|
|-||Total||459 km2 (196th)
177 sq mi
|-||2011 estimate||20,956 (218th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2008 estimate|
|-||Total||$164 million (not ranked)|
|-||Per capita||$8,100 (119th)|
high · 49th
|Currency||United States dollar (
|Drives on the||right|
|a.||On 7 October 2006, government officials moved their offices in the former capital of Koror to Ngerulmud in Melekeok State, located 20 km (12 mi) northeast of Koror on Babelthaup Island and 2 km (1 mi) northwest of Melekeok village.|
Palau, officially the Republic of Palau, is an island nation. It is the Pacific Ocean. Palau is 300 miles (500 km) east of the Philippines. It got independence from United Nations trusteeship administration (administered by the United States of America) in 1994. It is one of the world's youngest and smallest nations. It is sometimes referred to in English under its native name Belau. The capital city of Palau is Melekeok. This has been true since October 1, 2006.
Palau is divided into sixteen administrative states:
- "Government offices moved to a new National Capitol Building complex located at Ngerulmud, Melekeok State" US Department of State. Palau (02/09). Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- 2008 estimate. "Palau". CIA World Factbook. CIA. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ps.html. Retrieved 9 August 2009.
- Human Development Index and its components. undp.org (2011).
- My Micronesia.com’s Palau section
- Olekoi Palau
- Palauan Embassy to the United States
- WWFM 89.5 Radio Palau
- East Javanese Beads as Palau Heirlooms
- Palau photographs
- Travel Notes - Runoko Rashidi in the Republic of Palau
- Encyclopedia of the Nations - Palau