kidzsearch.com > wiki
North Asia (Siberia)
East Asia (Far East)
|Linguistic classification:||One of the world's primary language families|
The Turkic languages are a language family of some thirty languages. They are spoken by Turkic peoples across an area from Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean to Siberia and Western and Northern China. Traditionally people think that they are part of the Altaic language family.
Turkic languages are spoken by some 180 million people as a native language; and the total number of Turkic speakers is about 200 million, including speakers as a second language. The Turkic language with the greatest number of speakers is Turkish proper, or Anatolian Turkish. The speakers of this language are about 40% of all Turkic speakers.
|Number||Branch||Languages||Status||Native Speakers||Main Writing System|
|4||Siberian Turkic languages||9||Vulnerable||800,000||Cyrillic|
|6||Arghu Turkic language||1||Vulnerable||20,000||Perso-Arabic|
Languages by native speakers
- Further information: Lists of endangered languages, List of endangered languages in Russia, and List of endangered languages in China
The Turkic languages are a language family of at least 35  documented languages, spoken by the Turkic peoples. The number of speakers derived from statistics or estimates (2019) and were rounded: 
- Katzner, Kenneth (March 2002). Languages of the World, Third Edition. Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis Books Ltd.. .
- Turkic Language family tree entries provide the information on the Turkic-speaking populations and regions.
- Turkic Language tree entries provide the information on the Turkic-speaking regions.
- Dybo A.V., Chronology of Türkic languages and linguistic contacts of early Türks, Moscow, 2007, p. 766, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-03-11. https://web.archive.org/web/20050311224856/http://altaica.narod.ru/LIBRARY/xronol_tu.pdf. Retrieved 2005-03-11. (In Russian)
- Johanson, Lars. 1998. "The history of Turkic." In: Johanson & Csató, pp. 81-125.
- Johanson, Lars. 1998. "Turkic languages." In: Encyclopaedia Britannica. CD 98. Encyclopædia Britannica Online, 5 sept. 2007.
- Menges, K. H. 1968. The Turkic languages and peoples: An introduction to Turkic studies. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.