kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Marathi written in Devanāgarī and Modi
|Region||Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh parts of Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu|
|Native speakers||73 million (2007)|
Varhadi , Maalavi, Khaandeshi, Ahirani,
|Official language in||India: Maharashtra, Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|Regulated by||Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad & various other institutions|
mar – Modern Marathi
omr – Old Marathi
|Linguist List||omr Old Marathi|
Marathi (मराठी भाषा) is the language spoken in Maharashtra, India. It is also Maharashtra's official language. It is at least one thousand years old and is based on Sanskrit. The written script is Devanāgarī - the same as one used to write Hindi.
People living in Maharashtra and parts of neighboring states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Karnataka, Chattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh, union-territories of Daman-diu and Dadra Nagar Haveli speak Marathi.
|This language has its own Wikipedia project. See the Marathi language edition.|
- Marathi Songs Of Ga Di Madgulkar - The Official Madgulkar Website
- Gadima On Facebook - The Official Madgulkar Facebook Page
- Marathi News
- MarathiMati.net - Marathi Language Web Portal
- Nationalencyklopedin "Världens 100 största språk 2007" The World's 100 Largest Languages in 2007
- The Goa, Daman and Diu Official Language Act, 1987 makes Konkani the sole official language, but provides that Marathi may also be used "for all or any of the official purposes". The Government also has a policy of replying in Marathi to correspondence received in Marathi. Commissioner Linguistic Minorities, 42nd report: July 2003 - June 2004, pp. para 11.3
- Marathi is an official language of Dadra and Nagar Haveli Administration's profile.