kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Counter-clockwise from the top: Original logo, new logo, original "fat" model, DualShock 3 controller, later "slim" model.
|Manufacturer||Sony EMCS, Foxconn, ASUSTeK|
|Type||Video game console|
|Units sold||87.4 million (as of 31 March 2017)|
System software version 4.31
(October 30, 2012 )
|CPU||3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 6 SPEs|
|Memory||256 MB system and 256 MB video|
|Storage||2.5-inch SATA hard drive|
(20 GB, 40 GB, 60 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB, 160 GB, 250 GB, or 320 GB included) (upgradeable)
|Graphics||550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'|
|Controller input||Sixaxis, DualShock 3, Logitech Driving Force GT, Logitech Cordless Precision controller, standard USB controllers, GT Force, Rhythm game controllers, PlayStation Move, GunCon 3, PlayStation Portable, Keyboard and Mouse|
|Online services||PlayStation Network|
|PlayStation (all models)|
PlayStation 2 (20 GB, 60 GB and some (CECHExx) 80 GB models)
PlayStation 3 is Sony's third video game console. It was released in Japan on November 11, 2006. It came out on November 17, 2006 in North America, and was released in Australia and Europe on 23 March 2007. It is competing against the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii consoles. Sony's previous consoles were the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation (PSOne).
The console is sold in two models. One costs $399 and has a 40 gigabyte hard drive. This model cannot play PlayStation 2 games. The other costs $499 and has an 80 gigabyte hard drive. When the PlayStation 3 was released, there were two different models. One had a 20 gigabyte hard drive and cost $399. The other had a 60 gigabyte hard drive and cost $599. Sony stopped making the 20 gigabyte console in North America after the 60 gigabyte version "sold ten times as many" as the 20 gigabyte version.
The PS3 is, according to Sony, the most powerful seventh generation console. However, many people that create computer games have recently stated that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are about equal. It is more expensive than the Xbox 360 or Wii. An upside is that to access the online mode to play and interact with other people is free unlike the Xbox in which must be paid for.
It is the only seventh generation console that can Play Blu-ray discs.
In October, a new version of the PlayStation 3 which is the 40 gigabyte model was introduced and the price of the 60 gigabyte model was further reduced. A white version of the 40 gigabyte model was released in Japan in November.
Since 2011, the PS3 was sold in a new, slimmer and more efficient model with a 160 GB or 320 GB of Hard Drive memory.
The PS3 was discontinued in New Zealand on September 29, 2015, in Europe and Australia in March 2016, in North America in October 2016, and in Japan on May 29, 2017, though games are still being made for the system.
- Shilov, Anton (2006-07-18). "Asustek Computer Ships PlayStation 3 Consoles". X-bit labs. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20060718235111.html. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "PlayStation Support". https://support.us.playstation.com/s/?language=en_US.
- ""PS3 Slim gains ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA"". Joystiq. 2009-08-21. http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-gains-ability-to-bitstream-dolby-truehd-dts-hd-ma/. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- Thorsen, Tor (16 April 2007). "20GB PS3 officially discontinued in North America". https://www.gamespot.com/articles/20gb-ps3-officially-discontinued-in-north-america/1100-6168876/.
- "Sony cuts Playstation price in US". 9 July 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6283170.stm.