kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Sharon speaking as Israeli Foreign Minister in the United States, 1998
|11th Prime Minister of Israel|
7 March 2001 – 14 April 2006*
|Preceded by||Ehud Barak|
|Succeeded by||Ehud Olmert|
26 February 1928
Kfar Malal, British Mandate of Palestine
|Died||11 January 2014 (aged 85)|
Ramat Gan, Israel
(m. 1953–1962; her death)
(m. 1963–2000; her death)
|Children||Gur (dead), Omri, Gilad|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
Tel Aviv University
Sharon was born on February 27, 1928 in Kfar Malal, British-Palestine. Sharon was in the Israel Army for many years. He fought in numerous battles, and in 1974 he left the army as General. After the army he decided to go to politics.
In 1977, he became Minister of Agriculture. In 1981 he became the Minister of Defence. In 1983, he was sent away from the government as Minister of Defence after he was found to be guilty for not preventing a massacre in Lebanon where many hundreds of civilians were killed by other civilians.
In 2001, he was elected for Prime Minister after the war between Israel and Palestine started. In 2004, he surprised many people when he said that Israel will get out of the Gaza Strip, which is the place where many Palestinian people live.
Rumours spread immediately of his death, though these were denied by his physicians. Ehud Olmert, another member of Sharon's newly formed Kadima party, was acting Prime Minister until elections were held in Israel, after which Olmert became Prime Minister of Israel.
- Israel mourns Sharon's passing; Netanyahu: He was a 'brave warrior'. 11 January 2014. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.568006/1.568006. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Former Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon dead at 85. Reuters. 11 January 2014. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/11/us-israel-sharon-death-idUSBREA0A09420140111. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Ariel Sharon's Biography – Detailed account of his military and political career
- Ariel Sharon
- Ariel Sharon: Return to the Temple Mount
- Ariel Sharon: an Israeli Caligula
- The Sabra and Shatila Massacres (16–18 September 1982)
- Timeline of key events in Sharon's life
- Ariel Sharon Profile, ynet news lexicon
- Biography of Ariel Sharon at cnn.com
- Prominent People – Sharon, Ariel "Arik"
- Phonecall – An authentic recording of Ariel Sharon talking to a soldier positioned at one of the Suez Channel bunkers at the beginning of the Yom Kippur War.