kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Bailiwick of Jersey|
|Anthem: God Save the Queen (official)
Island Home (official) a
Location of Jersey (dark green)
and largest city
|Recognised regional languages||Jèrriais|
|Ethnic groups (2011)|
|-||Lieutenant Governor||John McColl|
|-||Chief Minister||Ian Gorst|
|Status British Crown dependency|
|-||Administative separation from mainland Normandy||
|-||Liberation from German occupation||
9 May 1945
|-||Total||118.2 km2 (227th)
46.13 sq mi
|-||2013 100,000 estimate||97,857 (199th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2005 estimate|
|-||Total||$5.1 billion (166th)|
|-||Per capita||$57,000 (6th)|
|Currency||Pound sterlingd (
|Drives on the||left|
|Patron saint||St. Helier|
|a.||by Gerard Le Feuvre; official for occasions when distinguishing anthem required.|
|b.||Parliamentary democracy under constitutional monarchy.|
|c.||Rank based on population density of Channel Islands, i.e. including the Bailiwick of Guernsey.|
|d.||The States of Jersey issue their own sterling notes and coins (see Jersey pound).|
|e.||In a referendum on 16 October 2008, voters rejected a proposal to adopt Central European Time by 72.4%.|
Jersey is an island off the northwest coast of France. It is a crown dependency of the British monarchy. Jersey is called a bailiwick because the person who is the head of law for the island is called the Bailiff. The Bailiwick of Jersey also includes the islands of the Minquiers and Ecréhous, where nobody lives. The other islands of the Channel Islands belong to the Bailiwick of Guernsey. The country code (also used for internet) is JE.
Over ninety-seven thousand people live on the main island. Thirty per cent of them live in its only town, Saint Helier.
Jersey is divided into 12 parishes which elect their own administration.
- "Development of a Cultural Strategy for the Island". Statesassembly.gov.je. http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/documents/propositions/22189-12814-1972005.htm. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- Bulletin 2: Place of birth, ethnicity, length of residency, marital status.
- "2011 census results". Gov.je. 8 December 2011. http://www.gov.je/Government/Census/Census2011/Pages/2011CensusResults.aspx. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- "Jersey rejects time-zone change". BBC News. 16 October 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7671009.stm. Retrieved 18 October 2008.
- About Jersey (Visitors' guide)
- Les Pâraîsses d'Jèrri en Jèrriais (map of parishes, coat-of-arms, and history)
- States of Jersey (Jersey government's website)
- BBC Jersey
- Jersey History
- This is Jersey (Local Portal)
- Jersey Insight (Local Portal)
- CIA World Factbook information about Jersey
- Map of Jersey