kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Imazighen / Berbers|
c. more than 30 million Berber speakers; 40 m. Arabic speakers
|Regions with significant populations|| Morocco: 17 million (60% of total pop.)
|Religions||Islam (mostly Sunni), Christianity, Judaism||Related ethnic groups||Egyptians, Semites, Iberians|
Berbers (also called Amazigh, "free men", pl. Imazighen) are an ethnic group found natively in the countries of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia in North Africa, and also found as immigrants in many countries, especially France. Berbers usually speak the Berber language. Berbers were both nomadic and land owners according to the region they live in. Most Berbers are Muslims, but many are not.
- Richard L. Smith, Ferrum College, What Happened to the Ancient Libyans? Chasing Sources across the Sahara from Herodotus to Ibn Khaldun, Journal of World History, vol. 14, no. 4, 2003
- Institut Royal de la Culture Amazighe.
- The New Mass Media and the Shaping of Amazigh Identity.
- Number Systems and Calendars of the Berber Populations of Grand Canary and Tenerife.
- Encyclopedia of the Orient -- Berbers .
- Flags of the World -- Berbers/Imazighen.
- CMA: Congrès Mondial Amazigh.
- Photo Gallery of Berbers and Touregs from Erg Chebbi area of Moroccan Sahara
- Amazigh Startkabel.