kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Republic of Croatia
|Anthem: Lijepa naša domovino
Our beautiful homeland
and largest city
|Ethnic groups (2001)||89.6% Croats,
5.9% others and unspecified
|-||Prime Minister||Zoran Milanović|
|-||Speaker of Parliament||Boris Šprem|
|-||Principality||9th century, independent c. 840|
|-||Union with Hungary||1102|
|-||Joined Habsburg Empire||1 January 1527|
|-||Independence of SHS from Austria–Hungary||29 October 1918|
|-||Co-founded Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later renamed Yugoslavia)||4 December 1918|
|-||Yugoslavia becomes Republic||29 November 1943|
|-||Decision on independence||25 June 1991|
|-||Declaration of independence||8 October 1991|
|-||Total||56,594 km2 (126th)
21,851 sq mi
|GDP (PPP)||2011 estimate|
|-||Total||$80.983 billion (75th)|
|-||Per capita||$18,338 (48th)|
|GDP (nominal)||2011 estimate|
|-||Total||$64.160 billion (65th)|
|-||Per capita||$14,529 (44th)|
high · 46th
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|-||Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Drives on the||right|
The Republic of Croatia is a small country between the Mediterranean Sea and Central Europe. It was one of the republics of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. It became independent in 1991. It joined the European Union on 1 July 2013.
A very long time ago, in this territory lived Illyrian people and they were ruled by Rome. In the seventh century AD, northern Slavic people came to live in the Balkan peninsula. Austria-Hungary makes the Croatia free from Ottoman empire and was ruled in today's Croatia until 1918. In 1918 it became a part of Yugoslavia which was taken over in World War II. After a small war with Italy a fascist dictatorship formed the Independent State of Croatia in 1941. It was not independent for long. Like all other countries in Central Europe the Nazi Germany had strong influence (see also Jasenovac concentration camp).
In 1945, Croatia became a part of new, communist Yugoslavia (Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia) which collapsed in 1991. Croatia is now independent for the second time.
Croatia is one of the richest countries of the Balkan Peninsula and of the former Yugoslavia's countries. But Croatia had also the highest cost prices of the whole Central Europe. The average monthly salary/wages in Croatia standing on 739 euro or nearly $1000 USD.
The retirement age for men is 65 years and for women 60 years. The health care enjoys relative strong protection for the country's inhabitants.
The education is free and required until the child reaches the age of 15. Many choose to continue their studies in high school until the age of 18.
- List of cities in Croatia
- Croatia at the Olympics
- Croatia national football team
- List of rivers of Croatia
- (in Croatian and English) (PDF) Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011, First Results by Settlements. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. June 2011. p. 13. . http://www.dzs.hr/Hrv_Eng/publication/2011/SI-1441.pdf. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "Distribution of family income – Gini index". The World Factbook. CIA. Archived from the original on 23 July 2010. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2172.html. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- "Human Development Report 2011". United Nations. 2011. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Croatia to become EU member 1 July 2013". Croatian Times. May 23, 2011. http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/General_News/2011-05-23/19468/Croatia_to_become_EU_member_1_July_2013. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- The Croatian government's official website @ vlada.hr
- Basic facts, website of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Croatian National Tourist Board
- General information about Croatia