kidzsearch.com > wiki | Related: images | videos | games
A bus is a large wheeled vehicle meant to carry many different persons along with the driver. It is larger than a car. The name is a shortened version of omnibus, which means "for everyone" in Latin. Buses used to be called omnibuses, but people now simply call them "buses".
There are many types of bus around the world.
Types of bus
- Coach / Motorcoach - A bus that is used for driving long distances with as much comfort as possible and more room. It has more comfort than a city bus.
- School bus - a bus that takes people to their school or university. In America school buses are yellow while in other countries they may be different.
- Shuttle buses - a bus that drives between places without many stops. It is often used for sport events and other places where lots of people meet, and at airports.
- Minibus - A bus that is smaller than normal buses. It can carry about 8 to 25 people.
- Double decker bus - A bus that has two floors (decks). It can carry about 70 people.
- Low-floor bus - A bus that drives nearer the ground than other buses so you can get in and out more easily. This type of bus is often used in cities. The floor may get lower when the bus stops and higher when it moves.
- Trolleybus - A bus that gets its energy from electric cables above the street, not from petroleum fuel.
- Articulated bus - A bus that can bend in the middle so that it can be long and still move in small streets.
- Guided bus - A bus that is guided on rails like a train but is used on normal streets. Often it can also be used like a normal bus.
- Neighbourhood bus - It is like a school bus.
- Training bus - A bus that is used for new drivers to practice with. It might not be safe for passengers and might have been changed so a teacher can easily help the new driver.
- Gyrobus - see Gyrobus.
- Hybrid bus - A bus that has two engines, for example a fuel engine and an electric engine.
- Police bus - A bus that is used by the police to transport a large number of policeman.
- Offroad bus - A bus that is made to be used beyond normal roads, often used by the Army.
- Open-top bus - A bus that has no roof, often used for tourism.