kidzsearch.com > wiki
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Hatnote' not found.
|Overseas department of France|
|Divisions||2 arrondissements, 22 communes|
|Highest point||Bellevue de l'Inini|
|- location||Guiana Shield|
|- elevation||851 m (2,792 ft)|
|Lowest point||Atlantic Ocean|
|- elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Area||83,533.9 km² (32,253 sq mi) |
|Population||252,338 (2014) |
|Density||3 /km² (8 /sq mi)|
|Website: Territorial collectivity|
French Guiana (French: GuyaneLua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.) is an overseas department and region of France, on the north Atlantic coast of South America. By land area, it is the second largest region of France and the largest overseas department of France and of the European Union.
Guiana comes from an Amerindian language (Arawak) that means "land of many waters". The addition of the word "French" in most languages other than French comes from colonial times when there were five in the region; they were, from west to east:
- Spanish Guiana (now Guayana Region in Venezuela)
- British Guiana (now Guyana)
- Dutch Guiana, (now Suriname)
- French Guiana (now Guyane)
- Portuguese Guiana (now Amapá in Brazil).
French Guiana and the two larger countries to the north and west, Guyana and Suriname, are still often collectively referred to as the Guianas and form the Guiana Shield.
French Guiana borders two countries: Surinam to the west, and Brazil to the east and south. To the north is the Atlantic Ocean. There are two main geographical regions: a coastal strip where the majority of the people live, and a dense rainforest which gradually rises to the modest peaks of the Tumuc-Humac mountains along the Brazilian frontier.The highest point in the department is Bellevue de l'Inini (
As of 2007[update], the Amazon rainforest in the most southern part of the department, is protected as the Guiana Amazonian Park, one of the ten national parks of France. The territory of the park covers some 33,900 square kilometres (13,100 sq mi) in the communes of Camopi, Maripasoula, Papaïchton, Saint-Élie and Saül.
The average temperature for the year in Cayenne is 26.7 °C (80.1 °F). The warmest month, on average, is September with an average temperature of 27.2 °C (81.0 °F). The coolest month on average is January, with an average temperature of 26.1 °C (79.0 °F).
The average amount of precipitation for the year in Cayenne is 3,205.5 mm (126.2 in). The month with the most precipitation on average is May with 513.1 mm (20.2 in) of precipitation. The month with the least precipitation on average is September with an average of 43.2 mm (1.7 in). There is an average of 201.0 days of precipitation, with the most precipitation occurring in May with 27.0 days and the least precipitation occurring in September with 5.0 days.
The department of French Guiana is managed by the Collectivité territorial de la Guyane in Cayenne.
The 22 communes in the department are:
|Arrondissement of Cayenne|
|97302||Cayenne||55,817||23.60||2,365.13||Le Centre Littoral|
|97307||Matoury||31,934||137.20||232.76||Le Centre Littoral|
|97309||Remire-Montjoly||21,787||46.11||472.50||Le Centre Littoral|
|97305||Macouria||11,209||378.00||29.61||Le Centre Littoral|
|97310||Roura||3,537||3,902.50||0.91||Le Centre Littoral|
|97313||Montsinéry-Tonnegrande||2,477||737.20||3.36||Le Centre Littoral|
|Arrondissement of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni|
French Guiana has a population, in 2014, of 252,338, for a population density of 3.0 inhabitants/km2. The city with more people living in it is the capital, Cayenne (55,817 inhabitants). The subprefecture of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni has 44,169 inhabitants.
Evolution of the population in French Guiana <timeline> Colors=
id:lightgrey value:gray(0.9) id:darkgrey value:gray(0.7) id:sfondo value:rgb(1,1,1) id:barra value:rgb(0.6,0.7,0.8)
ImageSize = width:500 height:373 PlotArea = left:50 bottom:30 top:30 right:30 DateFormat = x.y Period = from:0 till:275000 TimeAxis = orientation:vertical AlignBars = justify ScaleMajor = gridcolor:darkgrey increment:50000 start:0 ScaleMinor = gridcolor:lightgrey increment:25000 start:0 BackgroundColors = canvas:sfondo
bar:1967 text:1967 bar:1974 text:1974 bar:1982 text:1982 bar:1990 text:1990 bar:1999 text:1999 bar:2008 text:2008 bar:2014 text:2014
color:barra width:30 align:left
bar:1967 from:0 till: 44392 bar:1974 from:0 till: 55125 bar:1982 from:0 till: 73022 bar:1990 from:0 till: 114678 bar:1999 from:0 till: 157213 bar:2008 from:0 till: 219266 bar:2014 from:0 till: 252338
bar:1967 at: 44392 fontsize:S text: 44,392 shift:(-12,5) bar:1974 at: 55125 fontsize:S text: 55,125 shift:(-18,5) bar:1982 at: 73022 fontsize:S text: 73,022 shift:(-18,5) bar:1990 at: 114678 fontsize:S text: 114,678 shift:(-18,5) bar:1999 at: 157213 fontsize:S text: 157,213 shift:(-18,5) bar:2008 at: 219266 fontsize:S text: 219,266 shift:(-18,5) bar:2014 at: 252338 fontsize:S text: 252,338 shift:(-18,5)
The main traditional industries are fishing, gold mining and timber. The Guiana Space Centre of the European Space Agency has played a significant role in the local economy since it was established in Kourou in 1964.
Devils Island Prison
Three Islands off the coast were used by the French Government from 1852 to 1953 as Prison Islands.
- Royale Island
- Saint-Joseph Island used for solitary confinement in silence and darkness for escape attempts
- Devils Island for political prisoners [Dreyfus was kept here]
Convicts who were sentenced to more than 8 years and survived and served their terms could not return to France but were required to stay on as involunatary settlers for the rest of their lives.
- Alfred Dreyfus
- Henri Charrière [b.16 November 1906-d.19 July 1973] aka Papillion (Butterfly). A Burgler and safe cracker he was convicted 26 October 1931 of the Murder of a pimp named Roland Le Petit [ He admitted being a criminal but denied the murder charge]. He was sentenced to life in prison and ten years of hard labour. He married Georgette Fourel, mayor of the 1st arrondissement of Paris, on December 22, 1931. [They divorced on 8 July 1970 by decision of the Paris High Court]. After a brief imprisonment at the transit prison of Beaulieu in Caen, France, he was transported in 1933 to the prison of St-Laurent-du-Maroni on the Maroni River, in the penal settlement of mainland French Guiana. He claimed to have engaged several escapes from 1933 to 1941 when he finally succeded in escaping. In 1942 he was arrested and sent to a brutal penal settlement in El Dorado, Bolivar State, Venezuela. After a year of imprisonment, Charrière was released with identity papers on 3 July 1944. Five years later he was given Venezuelan citizenship; he became a businessman and married again. His 1969 autobiography became a best selling book and later made into a movie with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. French records of his life from 1933-1944 present a different account: He left the citadel of Saint-Martin-de-Ré on 29 September 1933 aboard the Martinière and landed on 14 October with the status of "transported" to Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni. There is little time left in the transportation camp as he is assigned as a nursing assistant to the André-Bouron Colonial Hospital, where he sees many inmates returning from the run and tell him their escape stories from which he will draw inspiration. This place prevents him from the work of logging sites or agricultural concessions that annihilate convicts in a few months. He escaped for the first time on September 5, 1934, but failed in Colombia, a country that returned escaped convicts to France. Judging by the Special Maritime Court, he spent two years in the cells of the St. Joseph's Island Seclusion. Several times transferred, he ended up as a nurse-chief in an Indochinese camp on the Guyanese mainland, the Cascades forest camp from which he escaped on the night of March 18-19, 1944, along with four other companions.]
- "Département de la Guyane (973)" (in French). Comparateur de territoire. Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/1405599?geo=DEP-973+ARR-9731+ARR-9732. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Populations légales 2014: Recensement de la population - Population des régions" (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/2525752?sommaire=2525768. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "L’Assemblée" (in French). Collectivité Territoriale de Guyane. https://www.ctguyane.fr/lassemble/. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Guyana". Oxford Dictionaries. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Guyana. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Bellevue de L'Inini, French Guiana". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=8710. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Global Forest Resources Assessment 2010 - Main report" (PDF). FAO. 2010. p. 48. http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/i1757e/i1757e.pdf. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Avignon, France - Köppen Climate Classification". Weatherbase. http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather-summary.php3?s=50418&cityname=Cayenne%2C+Guyane%2C+French+Guiana&units=. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Département de la Guyane (973)" (in French). Géographie administrative et d'étude. Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. https://www.insee.fr/fr/metadonnees/cog/departement/DEP973-guyane. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "LOI n° 2011-884 du 27 juillet 2011 relative aux collectivités territoriales de Guyane et de Martinique (1)" (in French). Légifrance.gouv.fr. http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000024403725. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (in French) (PDF). Populations légales 2014. Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/fichier/2525755/dep973.pdf. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Guyane" (in French). habitants.fr. http://www.habitants.fr/guyane-973. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- Collectivité territorial de Guyane website (in French)
- Prefecture website (in French)
- Guyane-Amazonie TourismLua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.[dead link]
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 492: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).