kidzsearch.com > wiki
Republic of Liberia
Location of Liberia (dark green)
and largest city
|Ethnic groups |
|Government||Unitary presidential constitutional republic|
|Legislature||Legislature of Liberia|
|House of Representatives|
|Formation and Independence from American Colonization Society|
• Settlement by the American Colonization Society
|January 7, 1822|
|July 26, 1847|
• Annexation of Republic of Maryland
|March 18, 1857|
• Recognition by the United States
|February 5, 1862|
|November 2, 1945|
|January 6, 1986|
|111,369 km2 (43,000 sq mi) (102nd)|
• Water (%)
• 2015 estimate
• 2008 census
|40.43/km2 (104.7/sq mi) (180th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2019 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2019 estimate|
• Per capita
|HDI (2019)|| 0.480|
low · 175th
|Currency||Liberian dollar (LRD)|
|Time zone||UTC (GMT)|
|ISO 3166 code||LR|
The Republic of Liberia is a small country on the coast of West Africa. It has common borders with Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Ivory Coast. The country has a size of about 520 kilometres (320 mi) by 270 kilometres (170 mi). As of 2021, there are about 5,000,000 people in Liberia. The capital city of Liberia is Monrovia. For ships, Liberia is a flag of convenience.
Liberia is a country in Southwest Africa, on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. Except for the coast, most of Liberia is low mountains, with an altitude of 300 metres (980 ft) to 500 metres (1,600 ft) above sea level. The coastal region is full of swamps, and reaches 30 kilometres (19 mi) to 50 kilometres (31 mi) inland. After that, there's a plateau at an altitude of about 400 metres (1,300 ft). About 60% of the country is covered with rainforest. To the north, there are higher mountains. There are nine big plantations of rubber trees, which are important for the economy. There are mangrove swamps near the coast. In 2019, estimates are that close to 5 million people live in Liberia. About half of them live in the capital, Monrovia. There are 15 administrative divisions, called counties. The main environmental issues in Liberia are that endangered species are hunted and eaten. This kind of meat is called bushmeat. Some of the poached animals are also sold to neighbouring countries. A big part of Liberia is rainforest. like with other rainforest contries, Slash-and-burn agriculture is a problem. Illegal logging also is. In Monrovia, there is a lot of pollution.
White Americans made the American Colonization Society and bought the land in 1822. They didn't want black people who were not slaves to be in the United States. So they took some of them to Liberia. At the start of the American Civil War (in the 1860s) about 12.000 freed slaves lived there. In the 1990s and in the early 2000s, two civil wars badly affected the country.
- "Liberia". The Central Intelligence Agency side for Liberia. Central Intelligence Agency. 2019. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/li.html.
- "Religions in Liberia - PEW-GRF". http://www.globalreligiousfutures.org/countries/liberia#/?affiliations_religion_id=0&affiliations_year=2010®ion_name=All+Countries&restrictions_year=2015.
- "Report for Selected Countries and Subjects". https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2019/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=42&pr.y=10&sy=2019&ey=2024&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=668&s=NGDPD,PPPGDP,NGDPDPC,PPPPC&grp=0&a=.
- "GINI index". World Bank. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.GINI?locations=LR&name_desc=false.
- Human Development Report 2020 The Next Frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene. United Nations Development Programme. 15 December 2020. pp. 343-346. . http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr2020.pdf. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- Lewis, M. Paul; Simons, Gary F.; Fennig, Charles D., eds. (2015). "Liberia". Dallas, Texas: SIL International. http://www.ethnologue.com/country/lr/languages.
- Blight, David W. (2001). Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory. Cambridge, Massachusetts and London, England. p. 145. .
- Maryland. Board of managers for removing the free people of color. (1832). Colonization of the free colored population of Maryland, and of such slaves as may hereafter become free. Statement of facts, for the use of those who have not yet reflected on this important subject. Baltimore: State of Maryland. http://archive.org/details/colonizationoffr00mary.