kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The Republic of Liberia is a small country on the coast of West Africa. It was founded in the early 19th century by the American Colonization Society because they didn't want black people who were not slaves to be in the United States.
The name of the country means "Land of the Free" in Latin, and gained its independence on July 26, 1847. Many of the free people of color who were sent to Liberia were missionaries, and they were very cruel to the Indigenous peoples who were already living there. Its official language today is English because of this history.
The country's constitution is similar to that of the United States. In the fall 2017 elections, George Weah became the twenty-fifth President of Liberia. He was inaugurated on January 22, 2018. The President before Weah was Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the first African female president.
For ships, Liberia is a flag of convenience.
- Liberia Portal
- Liberia in the News
- HavenWorks - Liberia
- The Liberian Times
- Debate on the country's founding at MSN's Slate
- Liberia - Past and Present
- News on Liberia's Recent Civil War
- Webquest for English Language Learners
- Liberia Citizendium
- Maryland. Board of managers for removing the free people of color. (1832). Colonization of the free colored population of Maryland, and of such slaves as may hereafter become free. Statement of facts, for the use of those who have not yet reflected on this important subject. Baltimore: State of Maryland. http://archive.org/details/colonizationoffr00mary.
- Smith, James D. (1996). Liberia's Ugly Past (Part I). http://theperspective.org/uglypastI.html. Retrieved 2020-10-28.