kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1920s 1930s 1940s – 1950s – 1960s 1970s 1980s|
|Years:||1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959|
|Categories:|| Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
The 1950s was the decade that started on January 1, 1950, and ended on December 31, 1959.
- 1950–1953 Korean War.
- 1953 – Structure of DNA published by James Watson, Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins.
- 1953 – Edmund Hillary is the first man on Mount Everest.
- 1954 – Battle of Dien Bien Phu ends France's colonization of Vietnam and leads to division of Vietnam into North and South.
- 1956 – Hungarian Revolution of 1956
- 1956 – Suez Crisis
- 1958 – Treaty of Rome
- 1959 – Fidel Castro becomes the Prime Minister of Cuba.
- 1957 – Sputnik launched.
- Konrad Adenauer, German chancellor
- Chuck Berry, American rock & roll musician
- Fidel Castro, president of Cuba
- René Coty, president of France
- Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of United Kingdom
- James Dean, American actor
- Paul Newman, American actor
- Bo Diddley, American rock & roll musician
- Elizabeth II, British queen since 1952
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the US 1953–1961
- Ludwig Erhard, German chancellor
- Francisco Franco, dictator of Spain
- Charles de Gaulle, president of France
- George VI, British king until 1952
- David Ben-Gurion, prime minister of Israel
- Hirohito, Emperor of Japan
- Alfred Hitchcock, writer
- Pope John XXIII, Pope from 1958
- Nikita Khrushchev, leader of the Soviet Union
- Marilyn Monroe, American actress
- Gamal Abdel Nasser, president of Egypt
- Jawaharlal Nehru, prime minister of India
- Josip Broz Tito, President of Yugoslavia
- Juan Perón, President of Argentina
- Pope Pius XII, Pope until 1958
- Elvis Presley, American singer
- Buddy Holly, American singer
- Joseph Stalin, dictator of the USSR
- Harry S. Truman, President of the US until 1953
- Kim Il-Sung, dictator of North Korea
- Mao Zedong, Chairman of the Communist Party of China