kidzsearch.com > wiki
County (United States)
A county, in the United States, is a form of government that is right below the state. 48 out of the 50 states in the United States use counties. Louisiana calls its counties parishes while Alaska got rid of counties and only uses boroughs. Both of these are equal to the county. The list that the U.S. Census Bureau keeps that lists all of the counties in the United States says that there are 3,481 counties or other kinds of divisions that are equal to the county in the United States.
The mid-western and northeastern states in the United States divide the county further into townships or towns, some of which have municipalities. The place where the county government and courts are is called the county seat.
On average, a county in the United States has a population of around 100,000 people. The county that has the most people living in it is Los Angeles County, California, where 9.8 million people live. The county that has the fewest people living in it is Kalawao county, HI where only about 90 people live.
These pages list all of the counties in each state:
*Louisiana is the only state in the United States that is divided into parishes instead of counties, but it does have 64 parishes.
- "An Overview of County Government". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Content/NavigationMenu/About_Counties/County_Government/A_Brief_Overview_of_County_Government.htm. Retrieved 2007-08-17.
- "How many counties are in the United States?" (in en). https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-many-counties-are-united-states?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products.
- "How Many Counties are in Your State?". Click and Learn. http://www.clickandlearn.com/documents2/Counties.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "Counties: Geography of Virginia". http://www.virginiaplaces.org/vacount/index.html.
- "State of Florida.com - Florida Counties". https://www.stateofflorida.com/florida-counties.aspx.
- "Why Does Louisiana Have Parishes Instead of Counties?" (in en). https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/why-does-louisiana-have-parishes-and-not-counties.html.