kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
34th G8 summit
The 34th G8 summit was a meeting in 2008 for the leaders of Canada, the European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
|Core G8 members|
Host nation and leader are indicated in bold text.
|Canada||Stephen Harper ||Prime Minister|
|France||Nicolas Sarkozy ||President|
|Germany||Angela Merkel ||Chancellor|
|Italy||Silvio Berlusconi ||Prime Minister|
|Japan||Yasuo Fukuda ||Prime Minister|
|Russia||Dmitri Medvedev ||President|
|United Kingdom||Gordon Brown ||Prime Minister|
|United States||George W. Bush ||President|
|European Commission||Jose Manuel Barroso ||President|
A small others were invited to join some of the discussions.
The G8 plus the five other nations were known as G8+5.
- Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, President.
- China Hu Jintao, President.
- India Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister.
- Mexico Felipe Calderón, President.
- South Africa Thabo Mbeki, President.
- Algeria Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President.
- Australia Kevin Rudd, Prime Minister.
- Ethiopia Meles Zenawi, Prime Minister.
- Ghana John Agyekum Kufuor, President.
- Indonesia Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President.
- Nigeria Umaru Yar'Adua, President.
- Senegal Abdoulaye Wade, President.
- South Korea Lee Myung-bak, President.
- Tanzania Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, President.
Heads of international organizations
Leaders of some organizations were invited to be part of some of the discussions.
- African Union Jean Ping, AU Commission Chairman Jakaya Kikwete, AU Chairman.
- Commonwealth of Independent States Sergei Lebedev, Executive Secretary
- International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General
- International Energy Agency Nobuo Tanaka, Executive Director
- United Nations Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General.
- UNESCO Koichiro Matsuura, Director General
- World Bank Robert Zoellick, President.
- World Health Organization Margaret Chan, Director-General
- World Trade Organization Pascal Lamy, Director-General
- "The Group of Eight: what is it?" Reuters. July 3, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- G20-G8 France 2011, "What is G8?"; retrieved 2012-3-16.
- Japan, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA): 34th G8 summit website; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Rieffel, Lex. "Regional Voices in Global Governance: Looking to 2010 (Part IV)," Brookings. March 27, 2009; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- 2008 Hokkaido G-8, delegations; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Hokkaido G-8, delegations; "EU and the G8 & G20"; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- "President Hu to attend G8 summit in Japan," China Daily (Beijing). July 2, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- "G-8: world economy will be in focus," The Hindu (Chennai). July 5, 2008; "PM to take up fuel price issue, need for action plan at G8 meet," The Hindu Business Line (New Delhi) -- Dr Singh will have bilateral meeting the Prime Minister of Japan, the US President, and the leaders of Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia and the Secretary General of the United Nations; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- "México: presidente Calderón viaja a Japón por cumbre G8 y visita China," Univision (Mexico). July 4, 2008 (in Spanish)
- Liang, Yan. "Mbeki to attend G-8 outreach session in Japan," Xinhua (Beijing). July 6, 2008; Fabricus, Peter. "Mbeki to press G8 leaders on Africa," The Star (Johannesburg). July 7, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Stewart, Cameron. "Perfect Timing for Kevin Rudd's Trip to Australia," The Australian (Melbourne). July 5, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Lian, Yan. "Japanese ambassador: G8 Summit to highlight African issues," Xinhua (Beijing). July 5, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Liang, Yan. "Indonesian president to speak on food security at G8+8 summit," Xinhua (Beijing). July 2, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Na Jeong-ju. "President Lee Heads for Japan for Expanded G8 Summit," Korea Times (Seoul). July 8, 2008 -- Lee is to hold a series of bilateral talks with U.S. President Bush, Russian President Medvedev and leaders of India, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- "Support for Africa's development not just a moral imperative; it is critical to global security, Deputy Secretary-General tells African Union assembly," ReliefWeb, UN-OCHA (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs). June 30, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Fabricus, Peter. "Mbeki to press G8 leaders on Africa," The Star (Johannesburg). July 7, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Yan, Yangtze. "UN chief urges G8 nations to honor commitments to aid Africa," Xinhua (Beijing). July 7, 2008; retrieved 2012-2-10.
- Hokkaido Toyako Summit
- University of Toronto: G8 Information Centre
- Parliament.uk, Graphic shows G8 in context
33rd G8 summit
|34th G8 Summit
| Succeeded by|
35th G8 summit