kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Members of the United Nations
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
This is a list of members of the United Nations. The list includes the date each country joined the United Nations.
All notes are based on Official list of member states
- Joined as Byelorussia. United Nations told of name change on 19 September 1991
- The Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was an original Member of the United Nations. The Charter was signed on its behalf on 26 June 1945 and ratified (confirmed) on 19 October 1945. When Yugoslvia was dissolved the new countries of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia were formed.
- Zaire joined the United Nations on 20 january 1960. On 17 May 1997 it changed its name was to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- The Republic of Croatia was admitted as a Member of the United Nations by General Assembly resolution A/RES/46/238 of 22 May 1992.
- the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic was an original Member of the United Nations from 24 October 1945. The Czech and Slovak Federal Republic separated on 31 December 1992 and that the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic, as successor States, were thus admitted as Member States on 19 January of that year.
- Egypt and Syria were original Members of the United Nations from 24 October 1945. Following a plebiscite (vote) on 21 February 1958, Egypt and Syria joined together as the United Arab Republic . On 13 October 1961, Syria, became an independent country, resumed its separate membership in the United Nations. On 2 September 1971, the United Arab Republic changed its name to the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- The Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic were admitted as members on 18 September 1973. The German Democratic Republic stopped being a member on 3 October 1990, when the two Germancountries united to form one sovereign country.
- On 20 January 1965, Indonesia said it was leaving the United Nations “at this stage and under the present circumstances”. On 19 September 1966, decided "to resume full cooperation with the United Nations and to resume participation (start joining) in its activities". On 28 September 1966, the General Assembly invited Indonesia to take its seats in the Assembly.
- By resolution A/RES/47/225 of 8 April 1993, "Macedonia" became a Member of the United Nations. In the United Nations Macedonia is called "The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" because of arguments about its name.
- The Federation of Malaya joined the United Nations on 17 September 1957. On 16 September 1963, its name was changed to Malaysia, when the new states of Singapore, Sabah (North Borneo) and Sarawak joined the union. Singapore became an independent country on 9 August 1965 and a Member of the United Nations on 21 September 1965.
- On 4 February 2003, the official name of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was changed to Serbia and Montenegro. Montenegro held a referendum (vote) on 21 May 2006 and declared independence from Serbia on 3 June. President of the Republic of Serbia told the Secretary-General that the membership of Serbia and Montenegro was being continued by the Republic of Serbia On 28 June 2006 Montenegro became a United Nations Member State by General Assembly resolution A/RES/60/264.
- The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics was an original Member of the United Nations from 24 October 1945. On 24 December 1991, Boris Yeltsin, the President of the Russian Federation, told the Secretary-General that the Soviet Union's membership in the Security Council and all other United Nations organs was being taken over by the Russian Federation with the support of the 11 member countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- The Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was admitted as a Member of the United Nations by General Assembly resolution A/RES/55/12 of 1 November 2000. On 4 February 2003 the official name of the country was changed to Serbia and Montenegro. On 3 June 2006, the President of the Republic of Serbia told the Secretary-General that the membership of Serbia and Montenegro was being continued by the Republic of Serbia, after Montenegro’s declaration of independence.
- The Republic of Slovenia was admitted as a Member of the United Nations by General Assembly resolution A/RES/46/236 of 22 May 1992.
- "U.N. Admits South Sudan as 193rd Member". foxnews.com (FOX News Network, LLC). 2011-07-14. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/14/un-admits-south-sudan-as-13rd-member/. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- Tanganyika was a Member of the United Nations from 14 December 1961 and Zanzibar was a Member from 16 December 1963. After the ratification on 26 April 1964 of Articles of Union between Tanganyika and Zanzibar, the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar continued as a single Member, changing its name to the United Republic of Tanzania on 1 November 1964.
- Yemen was admitted to membership in the United Nations on 30 September 1947 and Democratic Yemen on 14 December 1967. On 22 May 1990, the two countries merged and have been one Member with the name "Yemen".